Black Friday in Relation to Photography Sales?

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
first off, sorry i am not sure where i should put this thread. i figured the experienced peeps might know more so im putting it here. feel free to correct mods.
well so black friday is coming up and i have been looking at getting a d90 or d300 and i was thinking maybe i score a huge deal on a camera on black friday.
have you guys had any experience in this?
is it likely that cameras will be a lot cheaper on black friday?
any stores in particular (best buy?) that have great photo sales??

Honestly, they usually don't drop the prices. I worked at Wolf Camera for a year and experienced 1 black friday (dang was that a good paycheck for that week).

What stores usually do is just add "free" stuff. WC usually added another lens a bag or printer or something to add to the package but usually don't lower the actual price more than $50-100. Usually...

I say this mainly applies to DSLR's. You can get GREAT deals on P&S cameras though!

~Michael~

Hi there,
first off, sorry i am not sure where i should put this thread. i figured the experienced peeps might know more so im putting it here. feel free to correct mods.
well so black friday is coming up and i have been looking at getting a d90 or d300 and i was thinking maybe i score a huge deal on a camera on black friday.

Black Friday is generally about either getting people into the store with, monetarily "cheap" items that are even cheaper, or with larger items that are going to be discontinued, but not labeled as so (sort of like the stuff you will see again after Christmas). I can't believe there will be many DSLRs on that type of list, let alone the one you want. Basically, everything on Black Friday is equivalent to a delayed impulse buy (what an oxymoron) from the short notice in the newspaper advertisement.

Hi there,

...delayed impulse buy (what an oxymoron) ...

Ha ha

As I stated, don't expect to get a great deal on a lower priced camera.

~Michael~

dang.. yea i kinda figured that DSLR are probably too expensive of an item that only a select few of the general public would buy (photographers yay!).. all well i guess it doesnt hurt to ask..

True it didnt'. Doesn't mean you can't stilll buy one Black Friday. I plan to get a couple accessories, just becuase I'll be out and I need some stuff

~Michael~

Last year there were some HUGE price cuts on Black Friday on Nikon products--$100 price cuts on quite a number of items. Of course, that was then, and this is a different year. I have read of one Black Friday Nikon Coolpix price cut of the camera going from $139 to $89. Last year, I received a very nice, glossy, 8.5x11 advertisement from Nikon,USA that dovetailed in with a promotion conducted through a professional-level photography equipment and rental shop in my state, with some generous discounts.

Last year at Fry's Electronics, I bought some discounted high-speed CF memory cards on a Black Friday sale, and shortly thereafter, I bought a handful of SanDisk Extreme III--30 MB/second 8-gigabyte CF cards for the blowout price of $29 each from Adorama.com.

Of course, last year at this time the recession was full-blown and the degree of economic panic was much,much higher than it is now,and manufacturers were really going all-out to loosen tight purse strings. Somehow, this year, I do not expect these extensive camera company to local dealer incentive programs to be as frequent; I read the Nikon one was USA-wide last year.

I bought four D90's and two Sigma 150-500's last Black Friday from BuyDig.com because the price on the D90's had been lowered somewhat. They don't give stuff away on Black Friday but if you find the right retailer you can still save some money.

Last year at Fry's Electronics, I bought some discounted high-speed CF memory cards on a Black Friday sale, and shortly thereafter, I bought a handful of SanDisk Extreme III--30 MB/second 8-gigabyte CF cards for the blowout price of $29 each from Adorama.com.

This is probably what I'm going to do is get some more CF cards online. Adorama and B&H do some great deals. I didn't really look at them last year, but will this time.

~Michael~

Honestly, they usually don't drop the prices. I worked at Wolf Camera for a year and experienced 1 black friday (dang was that a good paycheck for that week).

What stores usually do is just add "free" stuff. WC usually added another lens a bag or printer or something to add to the package but usually don't lower the actual price more than $50-100. Usually...

I say this mainly applies to DSLR's. You can get GREAT deals on P&S cameras though!

~Michael~

B&H just announced a holiday special, $200 off the price of an XSi but you're right. It's only a Canon, not like it's a real SLR.

B&H just announced a holiday special, $200 off the price of an XSi but you're right. It's only a Canon, not like it's a real SLR.
Hahaha fanboy alert!

But yeah, I've been meaning to get my hands on a 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor, but chances are it's not one of those typically discounted items for Black Friday.

I appreciate your ascerbic wit. But still, that $200 price incentive could get somebody into their first T-SLR (toy-slr).:lol:

But seriously, the last d-slr body I bought was this June--I got a NOS or new old stock Rebel XT for $200 from the pretty much bankrupt Ritz Camera at the mall.

I appreciate your ascerbic wit. But still, that $200 price incentive could get somebody into their first T-SLR (toy-slr).:lol:

But seriously, the last d-slr body I bought was this June--I got a NOS or new old stock Rebel XT for $200 from the pretty much bankrupt Ritz Camera at the mall.

I'll be shopping at a mall with a Wolf/Ritz camera and hoping they will have some GREAT deals to get rid of some inventory

~Michael~

last year i got several 4g cards from wolf. they cut theprice and sandisk had a rebate which brought the cost down to $0.00

i will be checking out the paper to see if that deal will be repeated.
right now b&h is showing rebates on some cards from sandisk and i believe the offer is good until the end of the year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back