Black Rapid RS-5

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I've never been happy with the camera strap that came with my Pentax bodies and always planned on buying a nicer strap that was more comfortable. I settled on the RS-5 which weighs in at $65, a little extravagent for a strap but it is nice. Anyone here have one? If so, what do you tote along in the pouches? I was a little leary about bringing extra cards in that strap due to the very strong magnets it uses for latches, but have tested it by putting some cheap cards between the connectors an finding it harmless. So what else could you bring along in there? A little small for filters. Maybe a lens cloth. I dunno. Anyway, just thought I'd see how others felt about the strap if you have one.

I don't have one... wanted one, read, read some more, got scared away - just too many cameras dropped from faulty gear, even after it was supposedly fixed.

i just ordered the rs7, didnt want the bulky pockets since id never put anything in them....i did see that opteka has a very similar strap for $30

I must say the reports I've read about dropping cameras have to be from user error and stupidity. It's main connection is from the plug that screws into the tripod mount and just as securely as quick release plates. The mini caribeaner has a screw type gate and I don't see that failing either if you screwed it in and secured it. Still, I may be one of those crying in a few weeks when my body and 77mm limited lens goes rolling down a sewer drain or something. I must say that it very comfy to carry it and doesn't bang around as much as my generic strap. It also seems to better protect the body and lens to have it in the small of your back than on your side when passing through a large crowd, etc.

i love mine i keep a cleaning cloth and some extra sd cards in mine it is so comfy sitting like that and easy to bring it up and take photos

I must say the reports I've read about dropping cameras have to be from user error and stupidity.
There have been parts failure, Google it. The fastener has been known to fail. The company has been less than responsive in correcting the issue with many reports of lackluster (to down right rude) customer service.

I have no first hand experience with the product and can't comment directly on the quality of their gear nor their customer service. I'm merely commenting your claim that the mishaps being reported on the internet are all attributable to stupidity or user error.

I love mine. I know the old design had flaws. I do not see how the new system could fail. Its overbuilt now. I think the factory camera straps would fail before and thing on the new Black Rapid. I have zero worries when using mine. I will use it until I purchase the cotton carrier.

I have the Black Rapid strap that has the pockets. I actually don't use the pockets for anything yet, but I really like the strap portion a lot. The sliding mechanism is very natural and easy to use. I haven't had any concerns about the attachment falling apart. The screw that goes into the camera has never come loose for me, and I've had it since October.

It would be nice if the pockets were a little bigger, but I can see how that might make the strap oddly wide. My only real problem with the strap is that the camera doesn't stay in the small of my back without me holding it there. Of course, this is a problem with any and all shoulder mounted bags, straps, etc. It is a little irritating, but the sliding and the padding make it so much better than the stock strap that I don't mind.

Oh, one other thing, adjusting the length of the strap is a little painful. I've only had to do it a couple times when it started raining and I shortened the strap so the camera hung under my jacket, so it's really not that big of a deal I guess.

Mel

I love mine. I know the old design had flaws. I do not see how the new system could fail. Its overbuilt now. I think the factory camera straps would fail before and thing on the new Black Rapid. I have zero worries when using mine. I will use it until I purchase the cotton carrier.
I have been eyeballing the RS-DR1 and may give it a try for this summer. I'm going to have a lot of events I'll be shooting and having both bodies ready to go would be nice. Right now I run around with a single camera over my neck and a vest full of lenses (Newsware, they rock).

I think the drops were with the first version of their fasteners. I must say the one I have on the RS-5 is rock solid. I have used it a ton and it has never even began to get lose or give at all. If you lightly wet the rubber gasket before screwing it on, it tends to make a super tight seal. (got that from one of their videos). I have it on my gripped 7d and use it with that body and my 70-200 F2.8L IS lens all the time.

I have the RS-2 strap and the pocket is only big enough for two CF cards or business cards.

That must be the model I have as well. I keep business cards in mine.

Before I got a grip for my camera I carried an extra battery in mine.

Now it has: 4-5 memory cards, cleaning cloth, lens cleaning solution, camera remote and I actually use the cell phone holder for my Iphone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back