Blacksmith

On my uncalibrated android device the edit might be slightly better, especially the crop. As to color I dunno, I've seen a lot of red faces (skin issues includeding my own rosacea) on older folks so I didn't find the first one objectionable. The second is okay as well. No disrespect intended on others who have commented, but this may be getting into the realm of personal preference.

On my uncalibrated android device the edit might be slightly better, especially the crop. As to color I dunno, I've seen a lot of red faces (skin issues includeding my own rosacea) on older folks so I didn't find the first one objectionable. The second is okay as well. No disrespect intended on others who have commented, but this may be getting into the realm of personal preference.
I agree but I was glad by dialing down the red channel, didn't hurt it. I think his bandana was reflecting on his face. It was useful commentary though because I wasn't looking at it. As TMorrow suggested, just brought that down the red channel a little and I could instantly see the difference. Derrel was right, more room for the eyes too peer out improves the image and to be honest, if I were painting him, I would have done the same, why I didn't correlate is beyond me. Dan said it was to red but I didn't know how to fix it so by all the commentary, I conclude it was fruitfull. Thanks again.

There's another method I use in PS for my "older" subjects that utilizes the eye droppers in hue/saturation adjustment to isolate a specific color then by using the sliders you can minimize that specific color. I use this method a lot to minimize the effects of reddush age spots without changing things across the board

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
here is an excellent tutorial o

I have this book. This was the method I was referring to earlier, but couldn't find it with limited phone access. Highly recommend this book as there are several good editing techniques. Clearly written with illustrations and photos. His skin softening and reconstruction techniques are great also.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Your edit imtroduced a green tinge to the straw hat. I dunno...I thought his face was ruddy, had some rosacia (spelling?), maybe a bit of sunburn. I thought the original face coloration was "him", not your camera.

Your edit imtroduced a green tinge to the straw hat. I dunno...I thought his face was ruddy, had some rosacia (spelling?), maybe a bit of sunburn. I thought the original face coloration was "him", not your camera.
I'm at a loss. I give up. One person says too red, you say to green. I thought the original was fine. I haven't a clue anymore. I take images in camera but y'all pick em apart. I do what you say and it ain't right. Maybe the original was correct after all. You guys make my head spin. Y'all are to into post.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss. I give up. One person says too red, you say to green. I thought the original was fine. I haven't a clue anymore. I take images in camera but y'all pick em apart. I do what you say and it ain't right. Maybe the original was correct after all. You guys make my head spin. Y'all are to into post.

I preferred your second edit, and to be honest didn't really notice any green tinge to the hat. If you're familiar with the layer masks, then add a mask to the red de-saturation layer, and just paint over the hat to restore it to its original colour. Or, even easier, just reduce the opacity of the re-desaturation layer, which will restore some of the red colour.

JC you have a wonderful image that as I said earlier could work either way, and to repeat what I said earlier, " No disrespect intended on others who have commented, but this may be getting into the realm of personal preference."

Post is always an attempt to improve what the camera saw, by bending it to the image formed in the brain. As such each "imagined image" will differ, making it important not to lose sight of the most important "imagined image" - your own.

JC you have a wonderful image that as I said earlier could work either way, and to repeat what I said earlier, " No disrespect intended on others who have commented, but this may be getting into the realm of personal preference."

Post is always an attempt to improve what the camera saw, by bending it to the image formed in the brain. As such each "imagined image" will differ, making it important not to lose sight of the most important "imagined image" - your own.

Well said - couldn't agree more

"Post" is something I do for a living and can have seriously good results with just a little bit of work, but simple color corrections are far from extensive post production and I don't see how we could be "too into post" by making only these suggestions. No one is trying to make you do anything, all we are doing is making suggestions to help you get the most out of the photograph.

Loved the SOOC and all the re-imaginations of it since!

Not posting this as a proposed 'improvement'- just my take. Selected only the clothing and de-saturated a bit (his kerchief was so vibrant that it could potentially distract)- then desaturated the whole image a small bit. This one also makes a glorious B/W as well BTW.

Such a classic shot! Thanks so much for sharing. Really inspiring.
2017_0812_12322400-01.jpeg

"Post" is something I do for a living and can have seriously good results with just a little bit of work, but simple color corrections are far from extensive post production and I don't see how we could be "too into post" by making only these suggestions. No one is trying to make you do anything, all we are doing is making suggestions to help you get the most out of the photograph.
I appreciate it. I was being sarcastic is all . Doesn't come out in text I suppose. Seriously, I know post is a process and I will eventually dive into a little more in the future. I guess my current feeling when doing post is that I'm not confident if I'm improving the image.

Loved the SOOC and all the re-imaginations of it since!

Not posting this as a proposed 'improvement'- just my take. Selected only the clothing and de-saturated a bit (his kerchief was so vibrant that it could potentially distract)- then desaturated the whole image a small bit. This one also makes a glorious B/W as well BTW.

Such a classic shot! Thanks so much for sharing. Really inspiring.
View attachment 145213
I like the edit. Thanks. I did do a conversion in black and white. Almost posted that instead. The person that runs the museum's news letter asked me to do all the images I captured that day to be in b&w so they can use them in their newsletter. She also wanted them in color for their Facebook page. She loved all the images I sent and wants me to be their resident photographer now. Apparently, the other person is not reliable and she thinks it's because they are not getting paid. They do three events per year. Next one is Pioneer days in the fall. Should be fun.

Most reactions

Back