Brighton Aids Memorial, Take 3!

And with the other ones you had a better idea of what those statues were, with this angle, if you didnt' tell me what they were, they coulda been just "some art work somewhere in NY" kwim?

An image should stand on it's own, without a title.
If he never mentioned what this scultpure is, you would have never known, no matter what angle it was taken from.

I knew what it was, but then again i know Brighton, i think this sculpture and image will speak volumes to the people of Brighton, they and most other Brits know exactly what it represents and thats why i think it would sell - in brighton.

The memorial represents world aids day by the shape, similarly that a poppy represents rememberance day by the shape.
A red ribbon represents Aids rememberance
world-aids-day-history.s600x600.jpg

Which is why those who have been affected by aids or know someone who has recognises the statue by its shape alone

Unless they think it's for breast cancer... i've always wondered why they both have the same symbol in similar colours. But then again the colours make sense... but why the ribbon?

Unless they think it's for breast cancer... i've always wondered why they both have the same symbol in similar colours. But then again the colours make sense... but why the ribbon?

In the states, they use that shape of ribbon for everything from AIDS Awareness to Johnny's twisted ankle on the soccer team.

I would go with your final edit posted in this thread. If I had to be super picky (which for a final print you need to be) I would try and remove the lens flare on the chimney of the building on the right, and maybe try and remove some of the reflections from the car windows along each side. Other than that (or even with those edits undone), the image is very nice and would well framed.

p!nK

The Red Ribbon Project was created by the New York-based Visual AIDS Artists Caucus in 1991.:
  1. Remain anonymous as individuals and to credit the Visual AIDS Artists Caucus as a whole in the creation of the Red Ribbon Project, and not to list any individual as the creator of the Red Ribbon Project;
  2. Keep the image copyright free, so that no individual or organization would profit from the use of the red ribbon;
  3. The Red Ribbon should be used as a consciousness raising symbol, not as a commercial or trademark tool.
The artists who formed the Visual AIDS Artists Caucus wished to create a visual symbol to demonstrate compassion for people living with AIDS and their caregivers. Inspired by the yellow ribbons honoring American soldiers serving in the Gulf war, the color red was chosen for its, "connection to blood and the idea of passion -- not only anger, but love, like a valentine." First worn publicly by Jeremy Irons at the 1991 Tony Awards, the ribbon soon became renowned as an international symbol of AIDS awareness, becoming a politically correct fashion accessory on the lapels of celebrities. The Red Ribbon continues to be a powerful force in the fight to increase public awareness of HIV/AIDS and in the lobbying efforts to increase funding for AIDS services and research.
I didn't get that it mimmicked a ribbon.

i only realised it mimicked a ribbon when i studied it in this post and i pulled my usual, blonde, impressed face.

The whole ribbon idea is so odd. They should have reconsidered other options lol

The whole ribbon idea is so odd. They should have reconsidered other options lol

Why? It's essentially a logo. An instantly recognizable symbol. Like the Nike swoosh. The interesting thing is, they did not trademark it, which allowed it to be copied and used for breast cancer, autism, violence against women, and several other "awareness organizations".

I am sure tons of thougt went into it's creation, and there were probably many other ideas that got canned. More time and thought went into it than people on this forum take when creating their logos. :lol:

Why? It's essentially a logo. An instantly recognizable symbol. Like the Nike swoosh. The interesting thing is, they did not trademark it, which allowed it to be copied and used for breast cancer, autism, violence against women, and several other "awareness organizations".

I am sure tons of thougt went into it's creation, and there were probably many other ideas that got canned. More time and thought went into it than people on this forum take when creating their logos. :lol:

Check this out Romany Mark Bruce
He's the sculptor

BJ, now you put it like that it makes a whole lotta sense, the ribbon is a lovely idea - just like the Nike swoosh is iconic but they failed to trademark it. That was my qualm, the fact that the ribbon is used for eveerythin, if you're colourblind you wouldn't know what the hell you're supporting!

Thanks for the link Sam.
I don't have time to watch the interviews right now, and maybe they will answer my question...Why did the sculpture go to that location? Is there significance? It's just odd to me, in what seems to be the courtyard to a residential community.

Chevy, the colorblind? You cater to the masses, not the minority. ;)

Thanks for the link Sam.
I don't have time to watch the interviews right now, and maybe they will answer my question...Why did the sculpture go to that location? Is there significance? It's just odd to me, in what seems to be the courtyard to a residential community.

Chevy, the colorblind? You cater to the masses, not the minority. ;)

It's literally in the heart of Brightons gay community, which is the gay capital of the UK and if I believe correctly, Aids in the western world mainly effects gay men.

Most reactions

Back