Brighton Aids Memorial, Take 3!

Aids in the western world mainly effects gay men.

Not to get off topic of the photo, but we studied the spread of Aids in a college geography class and it was quite interesting. We studied maps showing the concentration in the US, of Aids cases from the first cases at different intervals up to present day. The main guy blamed for the spread in the US was a flight attendant who would have sex with partners in multiple cities he flew to. The map reflected concentrations around airports. Then the next big jump was seemingly random spots, but on closer inspection of the rural cities, it was shown that these happened to be college campuses. The theory was that college men would not only be more open minded sexually and sort of experimenting more, but also that they would many times find gay men who would get them drugs and booze for parties, in exchange for gay favors. Thats why it became known as a gay disease, but it is believed that this ( in addition to contaminated needles and transfusions ) is partly how AIDS made its major jump to straight people as well. Those young college men would in turn go back to campus and have sex with many partners thus spreading the disease. At that time noone even really knew about AIDS. I don't think AIDS is a gay disease, but given the biological issues involved with that lifestyle ( not to get to discriptive ) I think there is a much higher risk for contraction during male homosexual sex and therefore it was much more common with gays, and the disease thrived in that community moreso than anywhere else. Therefore, given the public disdain for that lifestyle at the time, it was easy to villianize the lifestyle and blame them for causing the disease.

Back to the photo, I agree the original, aside from the few issues originally discussed looked best to me. I liked seeing the field and having some reference to the entire field. I don't think the image works well as a silhouette. Now if you bracketed for the sky and also the statue so that the statue was well exposed in addition to the nice vribrant sky, then I think the tighter version ( version 3 ) would be pretty cool. Just my opinion though.

And with the other ones you had a better idea of what those statues were, with this angle, if you didnt' tell me what they were, they coulda been just "some art work somewhere in NY" kwim?

An image should stand on it's own, without a title.
If he never mentioned what this scultpure is, you would have never known, no matter what angle it was taken from.

this is so very true!

And with the other ones you had a better idea of what those statues were, with this angle, if you didnt' tell me what they were, they coulda been just "some art work somewhere in NY" kwim?

If he never mentioned what this scultpure is, you would have never known, no matter what angle it was taken from.

this is so very true!

EDIT: I misunderstood the statement, sorry!

Last edited:

this is so very true!

I disagree, many people buy images of famous structures and places due to an emotional impact that place has had on them. That place might be alien to another person looking at the image. Whilst there are many great images that do stand on their own, it is wrong to say that all images should stand on their own without a description.

And when you remove the emotional connection? What are you left with?

Who said all?

this is so very true!

I disagree, many people buy images of famous structures and places due to an emotional impact that place has had on them. That place might be alien to another person looking at the image. Whilst there are many great images that do stand on their own, it is wrong to say that all images should stand on their own without a description.

And when you remove the emotional connection? What are you left with?

Who said all?

I misread what was being said and take that back

Most reactions

New Topics

Back