Broken valentine rose, C & C please

luvmyfamily

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the roses my hubby gave me broke off as I was putting them in a vase. It rained here this morning, so I took a couple photos of the rose on the wet pavement and then again on the wet deck.

rose2.jpg

Exposure time, sec: 1/60
Aperture (F): 9.50
ISO speed rating: 100
Lens focal length, mm: 33.0
Aperture (APEX): 9.5
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Shutter speed (APEX): 0.0156 (1/64)
Exposure mode: Manual exposure
White balance: Manual white balance

rose1.jpg

Aperture (F): 4.00
Lens focal length, mm: 33.0
Aperture (APEX): 4.0

I'm not feeling this one. There might be a few reasons for this. 1) I'm looking right into the flower. 2) The framing isn't something I really like. So much empty space, imo. I think you wanted to convey an emotion, here. I think emotions are best conveyed in black and white or by desaturation. Those are my own opinions, however. One thins, though, the flower is a nice contrast against the concrete. Perhaps if the flower was smaller (you backed up more) to really make it look like the rose was thrown or something. When I think of it, maybe there's too little empty space.

This one's better, imho. The angled view of the rose makes a huge difference. Also, less empty space. It's sharp, but maybe not in the ideal place (imo). I'd like to have it sharp in the centre of the flower. Also, that white part upper left draws the eye severely. I'd like to see this after desaturation or BW. Over all, I'm not really feeling this shot either, but I think it's better than the first one.

Keep in mind I'm no expert.

I'm not feeling this one. There might be a few reasons for this. 1) I'm looking right into the flower. 2) The framing isn't something I really like. So much empty space, imo. I think you wanted to convey an emotion, here. I think emotions are best conveyed in black and white or by desaturation. Those are my own opinions, however. One thins, though, the flower is a nice contrast against the concrete. Perhaps if the flower was smaller (you backed up more) to really make it look like the rose was thrown or something. When I think of it, maybe there's too little empty space.

This one's better, imho. The angled view of the rose makes a huge difference. Also, less empty space. It's sharp, but maybe not in the ideal place (imo). I'd like to have it sharp in the centre of the flower. Also, that white part upper left draws the eye severely. I'd like to see this after desaturation or BW. Over all, I'm not really feeling this shot either, but I think it's better than the first one.

Keep in mind I'm no expert.

Thank you for your constructive opinions :) This was meant to be simple.

Oh and the white part at the top was a glare from the wet deck that was blurred.

I like the mood, colors and textures of #1 best, but the angle/composition of #2 best.I think if #1 had the composition of #2 it would be a strong photo.

I like the mood, colors and textures of #1 best, but the angle/composition of #2 best.I think if #1 had the composition of #2 it would be a strong photo.

Yeah, I would retake and put the flower at an ankle like #2 but now roads are drying up from rain. I could use a glass of water, lol.

Yeah, I would retake and put the flower at an ankle like #2 but now roads are drying up from rain. I could use a glass of water, lol.

Why not? I'd love to see the results

Do you think raindrop macro shots only are taken right after a shower? ;) If you need water, bring it :thumbsup:

Why not? I'd love to see the results

Will go try again :) But keep in mind, this is really meant to be simple...just thought of what to do with the rose I broke putting it in the vase.

Hmm I may want to try this type of photo with a black rose. I've been wanting to incorporate my love for gothic art into my photography, just haven't attempted it yet.

Hmm I may want to try this type of photo with a black rose. I've been wanting to incorporate my love for gothic art into my photography, just haven't attempted it yet.

If you do, I want to see! My oldest son and his GF love gothic! I retook the picture, but not as good comp as the 1st. Posting in just a bit.....

Last try for today, got stuff to do like dishes and laundry. This was 2nd try, but I still like the comp in pic #1 as well. Also, I am not sure I'd like this in a B&W (although I love B&W) because it would drown out the color of the rose which is what the focus is. Hmmmmmm..............

rose3.jpg

Lens focal length, mm: 41.0

luvmyfamily said:
Last try for today, got stuff to do like dishes and laundry. This was 2nd try, but I still like the comp in pic #1 as well. Also, I am not sure I'd like this in a B&W (although I love B&W) because it would drown out the color of the rose which is what the focus is. Hmmmmmm..............

Lens focal length, mm: 41.0

The first 2 are much better IMO! The rose doesn't look to be in as good shape as before. Very pretty rose though! Happy Valentines Day!

Shouldn't your man do the dishes and laundry today? It should be your day - screw the men!!! LOL!

Could you explain what you want with this picture? What is it you want to convey? If it is what I think it is, the glowingly red rose isn't doing the trick (for me).

Most reactions

Back