brushes with greatness...

i once met Mick Jones out of 'The Clash' and 'Big Audio Dynamite'. i was working behind the busy bar in a nightclub when he came over and ordered a round of drinks. I didnt have a clue who he was so when he tried to walk away without paying i grabbed him and told him to pay up. he said "im in the band who are playing tonight, im on the guest list" so i asked him what his name was, he told me and as i was checking i could hear everybody at the bar chuckling and laughing behind my back. i never lived that one down for a while. He saw the funny side himself though and hung around with the bar staff for a few drinks at the end of the night

bace said:
Once, I made a grilled cheese sandwich, and when I flipped the sandwich, there was a picture of carmen electra cooked into the bread. I swear.

No seriously.

so, how much did you get for it on ebay? :)

sorry, didn't mean to go off subject, i was just dying to ask....

haven't met anyone famous, unless you count some members of the power team...doubt anyone has heard of them..

Oh, I forgot: I met Ryan Stiles for the first time at the hardware store in town, lol... then I've run into him about 20 times since then at coffee shops, school, and all over. Turns out he lives twenty minutes from me, lol. I also met Hilary Swank a couple times at the grocery store I used to work at. And then I met Sting (the wrestler) once.... he's a super nice guy.

Lets see, only two celeb incidents for me.

1st - Met Penn Gillette (of Penn & Teller) after a show about 10 years ago.

2nd - Shook Chuck Yeagers hand at an airshow around 6 years ago (he's the first guy to officially go supersonic in an aircraft)

I also met Bill Clinton last year at a huge rally for John Kerry's presidential campaign. Well, I didn't really meet him, but I got to shake his hand. And Kerry's too. And our governor's. The kerry people actually used my school's gym to set up a press center for the event (my school is literally right behind where the stage was). And in return all of the students got tickets for front-row seats to the event. It was pretty awesome, as there was a really huge crowd there too.

The other night (thursday I believe) I was at this concert / show where Al Gore showed up. The show was put on by this new TV channel called Current TV, of which Gore is the founder or chairman or something. I don't even remember what he said, but it was fun to see him when he came on stage. He's looking pretty good these days.

My father works in radio and has met all kinds of celebrities over many years. Pretty recently he got to know Dee Snider (from the band Twisted Sister) who, for a short time, had a radio show on my dad's station. They actually started to really dislike each other pretty quickly. At one point Dee said "I think that guy and I might have to throw down" :lol: . It was really quite humorous. But I'm on my father's side in this. Dee Snider actually is a really bad talk show host.

terri said:
:falls over in faint:

traitor!!!!!!!!!!

it's McCartney, what do you expect? Lennon or Harrison would be a complete different story!

Verbal said:
Oh, I forgot: I met Ryan Stiles for the first time at the hardware store in town, lol... then I've run into him about 20 times since then at coffee shops, school, and all over. Turns out he lives twenty minutes from me, lol. I also met Hilary Swank a couple times at the grocery store I used to work at. And then I met Sting (the wrestler) once.... he's a super nice guy.

I LOVE HIM! I'M JEALOUS! So...where do ya live? :mrgreen:

JonMikal said:
it's McCartney, what do you expect? Lennon or Harrison would be a complete different story!
pfft. Better. I expect better from you. :mrgreen:

Being that I work in the musical field I had the chance to meet many celebs like:

Celine Dion, James Taylor (have pic w/him), Moody Blues, Dionne Warwick, Luciano Pavarotti yes he is that big, oh... sorry... nutritionally endowed).

Also actors:

John Ritter (have pic w/him), Martin Short (yes, he is that funny), Richard Dreyfuss.

Politicians:

John McCain, Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Sports figures:

Willie Mays, Evander Hollyfield (sp?), Muhammad Ali, Shaquille O'Neal, Barry Bonds.

In my younger daze I was an usher at Riverfront stadium. I was 16-17, back when the Reds were great, I often rubbed elbows with Rose, Tolan, Nolan, Conception, Bench and the rest of "The Big Red Machine". I was in the locker room when Pete and Johnny shoved Tony into a cloths drier and turned it on. Great fun! Met too many opposing team stars to mention and numerous movie stars and politicians. At the time I thought nothing much of it and didn't collect anything from them. I have a Johnny Bench homerun ball and that's about it. Since then I had one of Clintons SS guys knock me down at a fund raiser I was shooting, that is about it. (I knew there was a reason I didn't vote for him)

Being in the Music industry i've met some interesting personalities...

John Paul Young - nice fella, had a nice chat with him

Ian Moss - Guitarist for Jimmy Barnes, again very nice guy

Tommy Emannuel - Awesome fella, Myself and a good friend had the honour of jamming with him backstage, what a rush that was! :D

Damien Noll - Brother of Aussie Idol runner-up Shannon Noll, Came and watched my band play at the Condobolin Summer B&S Ball. :)

Yahoo Serious - Met him at a friend's 40th birthday

No celebs for me, but if I did see one I wouldn't recognize anyone. My wife did meet Arlo Guthrie. It was a sort of party with Moe (local Phish like band). Just a few people sitting around chatting and having drinks. I guess I would have liked to be there but that was before we were married. Since I haven't met anyone of celebredum I'll say who I would or would have like to meet.?
Arlo Guthrie (To talk about Woody his dad)
Sting (the singer) (for tea time)
Sir Arthur Guinness (just for one pint)
Benny Hill (nobody can make me laugh as hard as he can)
Jerry Garcia (I miss him)
Thelonious Monk (for a song or two)
Morrissey (for a hamburger with fries)
There are more I guess but I guess I'm not thrilled with meeting famous people unless they can hold a decent conversation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back