Business License?

TSailer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have a photo business and where I live a business license is not required but I would like to get one anyways. There isn't a option for a photography business license but I would like to know what others have done? What type of business license would you suggest? Thanks!

If a license isn't required, why would you get one? I have a general business license as required by my regional municipal government for all persons conducting business in my area.

most around me don't have a license or pay taxes or have insurance - pretty much just a facebook page.

Yes, all depends on your area really. If one isn't required, and not offered, then getting one, or trying to get one serves no purpose. What is it specifically about a license that you think will benefit you in this case?

I own(ed) a website business (and still carry a contract for a long time client). In the area I started the business all I had to do was file a "Doing Business As" (DBA) document at the local court house.

Living in Seattle WA, I find it hard to believe that you do not require a business license in order to legally conduct business and collect sales and usage taxes. You may want to recheck your state laws.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you do need a business license in Washington state. They really would like to collect taxes from any money you make, even as a hobbyist since the state budget is all screwed up.

Start here.......

Department of Revenue

I dont live in Seattle, I don't post stuff like that online. I do pay taxes off of what I sell. I was asking because some of the vendor insurance places I've spoke with have asked about it. It's important to me to have everything legit. Where I live does not offer a photography business license. All I was asking was what type of business license some of you hold so I can get a better idea of what to look into.

Where your business is is relevant to your question. If you don't live in Seattle, why lie that you do? Your computer's IP address provides your location at any rate, so it's sure no big secret.

Business licensing/registration requirements vary by city, town, or county. States that collect sales/use taxes have requirements seperate from whatever your town may require.

You may not be required to gave a "photographers" license per se, but I am pretty sure you "business" must still be registered. Many locals call this a "merchant license" or certificate. The purpose of registering is to make sure you collect state and local sales tax as well as to make sure you are properly insured as required. I might also mention that many states will not register your business until you have a federal tax ID. Dont be confused about the difference between a license to practice (plumber, electrician, insurance sales etc) which usually require some sort of testing and a license to do business. Those are two entirely different things.

One reason for business licensing/registration is so no 2 businesses have the same name.

While I have never heard of different 'business license types', there are different types of business entity, like sole proprietorship, partnerships, limited liability company (LLC), S and C corporatiions, etc.

I dont live in Seattle,

Then change your location or just leave it blank. Can't give help when we only get half assed information from you.

good idea to be careful, photographers are dangerous.

The term "License" throws a lot of people. In many locals, businesses are required to register and have a "certificate" (aka Retail Merchants Certificate). This is were tax collection, workmens compensation insurance etc come into play. "License" is generally when you must prove ability to perform a certain type of work e.g. a trade, such as Electricians, Plummer. People who have to have a License, would also have to have a Merchants Certificate but not necessarily the other way around.

Most local jurisdictions require a business license, simply registering your business to operate from that jurisdiction. Provides the first step in collecting slaes tax thorugh the state if applicable. If indeed you are not required to register to be operating as a business, really curious why you would want to get entangled in a process, and although the fees are typically fairly low, spend the extra money? If by type you are inquiring about how to formally structure your business...sole prop to corp...that requires a lot of background details and an expert to weigh-in. The driving factors are usually liabiity and income tax. Give a lot of thought to those two topics and seek some legal counsel to see what the best and most economic fit is for your situation.

Most reactions

Back