Busted by edmonton police...

Cruisn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... me and my friend are out tonight taking some photos around edmonton jsut enjoying ourselves at the same time looking for places to photograph cars in the summer, anyways onto the story. I figure it would be a good idea to go down onto the lrt platform and take some photos of the trains and the platform and a shot or two down the tunnels. anyways. I take a few shots which were looking damn good on the camera I may add. lol. not once do I cross into the no go zone or do anything illegal of the sorts.

anyways, we get back up to the main floor and walk down a corridor to see where it goes, was a cool looking walkway. get to the end locked. turn around and the "peace officers" are standing at the end waiting for us. we approach them calmy

police: waht are you guys doign down here?
me: just taking some photos
police: for what?
me: just for fun, it winter out and no one wants shots of there cars done so I was jsut looking to practise with my new camera.
police: Why?
Me: jsut for sometihng to do.
police: well this is private property so yuo cant do that. ID please
me: okay, well I didnt know that,
politly hand them my lisence
police: do you guys have proof of purchase for being down there
me: no, why?
police: you have to pay to be down there
me: but I didnt ride the train.
police: doesnt matter, that's a 110 dollar fine
me: for what?
police: tresspassing
in the mean time her partener is calling us both in.
me: we didn't go anywhere we wernt supposed to
police: we have you on camera going into the tunnel which is trespassing
me: I never crossed that line! now a little edgy
police: we have you on camera
me: I never went in the tunnel want proof in my photos you can see the wall proving I never passed the do not walk line
police: well okay
a little more banter until our names clear and the finish getting our info
police: well were gonna let you guys off with a warning tonight...
us: thanks

wow, all this bull**** jsut for taking photos... makes me wanna sell my camera...

times in trouble with police after midnight doing car "activities" : 0

times in trouble with police for taking pictures: 2/3 times so far. go edmonton police service good thing your cracking down on the gangs...

also the police pulling sh*t outta there a** about stuff we never did... police like that should be fired on the spot. "we had you on camera" okay well then prove it... grrrr....they couldn't casue we didnt trespass... I am so pissed right now... thansk for listening to my rant

sorry to hear about that. when i first saw this i was thinking you must've mouthed off to the cops or something, but based on your dialogue you handled it very well, while the cops didn't. there's a lot of stress in the system.:playball: :hug::

Sorry to hear about your hassles.
Wait till ya get kicked out of a cemetery. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:been there, dont it.

Couple of things,

The LRT police are finicky about camera's, though they cannot stop you from taking pictures (legally), they will definitely try. I've been called out over the loudspeaker in the lobby of a station for doing that.

However, there are blatant signs stating that the tunnel where the trains are REQUIRES proof of purchase to go into. Every single entrance has that, and states that it is required past that point.

So, while you were allowed to take pictures (though they wouldn't have been happy), wandering around the proof of purchase area (where you can board the trains) without proof of purchase (ie buying a ticket) is an incredibly stupid thing, and your lucky they didn't slap you with a fine.

police: well this is private property so yuo cant do that. ID please
If it's on private property, they can ask you to leave and, legally, you should comply. I'm not sure what the arrangement with the transportation system is; is it managed publicly or privately?

Also, "you have to pay to be down here"? Bull. You pay to ride the train, not just to be at the train station. And they crossed the line asking you for ID. This is Canada, not Nazi Germany.

I also get the impression that they couldn't have actually fined you. If they could have, they probably would have. They're bluffing and pushing they're undeserved authority around for kicks-and-giggles because they obviously haven't gotten far in life.

Last edited:
Welcome to 1984. We are in a brave new world and, it is unfortuantely going to get worse.

Also, "you have to pay to be down here"? Bull. You pay to ride the train, not just to be at the train station. And they crossed the line asking you for ID. This is Canada, not Nazi Germany.

I also get the impression that they couldn't have actually fined you. If they could have, they probably would have. They're bluffing and pushing they're undeserved authority around for kicks-and-giggles because they obviously haven't gotten far in life.

First of all, what it is, is that the platform where you have DIRECT access to the trains (IE where you board) requires proof of purchase. This is their way to keep police people who are trying to ride without paying. So, to be in certain sections of the train station, yes you must pay. Don't forget, this is a in-city train that goes end to end in 20 minutes, with numerous stops. Not some several hour trip with no stop where they can slowly go car to car checking tickets.

How did you get Nazi Germany even into this argument? What they did was horrific, but has no real relevance to having to pay to be in the boarding area of the local rail transit station. It is perfectly within a Peace Officer's (or Police Officer's) right to ask you for ID, it's not an invasion of privacy, and it ensures that you do not have previous court orders barring you from being in transit stations (ex. history of attacks or vandalism), as well as outstanding warrants. A police officer can do the same thing to you on the street if they see you jaywalking, but they are not required to give you a fine.

As well, once you enter the Proof of Purchase Required area, you can be fined. You can skip that area if your using the station to get to the other side of the roadway, but if you are entering that area, it is assumed that you are only going there to ride the train. Why else would most people be in the only area that permits access to the trains, and has no access to anything else?

Oh, and if you think their authority is undeserved, that's your opinion. But what is wrong with a law enforcement style position, with decent pay, benefits, and is fairly secure? The power they have is required for their jobs, and to say that they haven't gotten far in life? There are individuals with PhD's that work as security guards? Why? Because they enjoy it. Not because they couldn't/didn't go far in their lives.

dam i hate when the police pick on people that are doing nothin wrong but are no where to be seen when something bad is going down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back