Buying a New Lens off Craigslist

feRRari4756

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys I am buying a 70-200mm f/4.0 (non-IS) on craigslist this week. I am going to meet the guy in NYC. I know people from NYC can SOMETIMES be a little shady, so when trying out this lens, I am asking for a little help on what to look for.

So, when im seeing the lens before I pay the guy, what should I make sure works good and stuff? like what should I do with it?

I know these so far:
zoom in/out
see if it autofocuses fast and quiet like it should
check glass for scratches

and what else do you guys think?
Since I have never had an L lens, i just want to make sure i check ALL the features (some that may not be on sub-L lensnes) to make sure the lens works 100%.

**I am not meaning to offend anyone by saying SOME NYC ppeople are shady, just that it is a known area for scammers and such. I am fully aware that MOST people from there are nice fine people. I am just making sure I get a good lens and not scammed.

The first thing you should ask yourself is: how much cheaper is it than buying from a reputable dealer?

Not much cheaper? You're better off buying it from B&H or Amazon and getting a warranty along with your purchase.

Too much cheaper? It's probably stolen or very used.

i got my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS off of craigslist, also in NYC. We met up in Greenwich Village close to that hospital. I called the guy, he came over, we sat on a bench and then i took a couple of sample shots, checked for scratches and payed the guy. Also remember to look at the prices.

I just bought my SB600 in basically-new condition for 1/3 what I'd pay new. Met the guy, did some test shots, paid him and we were both off. I was happy.

I'd never buy anything I couldn't hold in my hands off craigslist, though.

You could also ask the guy ahead of time for the serial number, then find a way to run it and see if it is reported stolen. Then if it comes up clean, when you see the lens in person, check the serial number to see if it is really the one he gave you.

ok guys thanks. man that thread was awsome u gave me.

thanks again ill get u know when i get it tommorow

I know people from NYC can SOMETIMES be a little shady, so when trying out this lens, I am asking for a little help on what to look for
Dude, I'm from NYC, that kind of hurts :grumpy:

But for testing it: see if it does what it supposed to do by the book and reviews and what it actually does. Unless it is damaged heavily, it shouldn't be problematic. Friend photographer of mine recently passed away. I tried helping his wife selling off his equipment. Sold his 17-35Nikon with a focus ring getting stuck at 28mm mark. Otherwise the lens is sharp as advertised, it was dusty, since it hasn't been touched in over 2months and does the job. Even fixing it from Nikon and the price the guy payed for it is STILL cheaper then buying it used from the store - THUS it was worth it.

Hey guys I am buying a 70-200mm f/4.0 (non-IS) on craigslist this week. I am going to meet the guy in NYC. I know people from NYC can SOMETIMES be a little shady, so when trying out this lens, I am asking for a little help on what to look for.

So, when im seeing the lens before I pay the guy, what should I make sure works good and stuff? like what should I do with it?

I know these so far:
zoom in/out
see if it autofocuses fast and quiet like it should
check glass for scratches

and what else do you guys think?
Since I have never had an L lens, i just want to make sure i check ALL the features (some that may not be on sub-L lensnes) to make sure the lens works 100%.

**I am not meaning to offend anyone by saying SOME NYC ppeople are shady, just that it is a known area for scammers and such. I am fully aware that MOST people from there are nice fine people. I am just making sure I get a good lens and not scammed.

Wow, that is some city profiling!!! I guess you could say the same about just anybody. It just does not sound right.

anyways, buying from Craigslist, treat it the same way as if you were buying it at the store. Shake it (sometimes the rear element loosens up), inspect it (don't want to see bump marks or nicks) and finally, test it. If you could bring a laptop to see the image blown up big the better.
finally, make sure you meet in a public place.

I have purchased and sold many things in CL and that is my ritual:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back