Buying my first lens

lincho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello guys!
I'm a newbie so I really want to ask for advice. Which is better: Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G or AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D?

And my second question:
If I choose the 50mm will be there a big difference between the stabilized one and the non-stabilized (I want it for portraits without tripod).
Thanks in advance (sorry for my bad English .___.)

Answer is easy. Take the 35mm AF-S f/1.8. Personally, I do not use lenses with optical stabilization. I do not need it.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD

lincho said:
Hello guys!
I'm a newbie so I really want to ask for advice. Which is better: Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G or AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D?

And my second question:
If I choose the 50mm will be there a big difference between the stabilized one and the non-stabilized (I want it for portraits without tripod).
Thanks in advance (sorry for my bad English .___.)

It depends. What camera? The DX lens is made for smaller sensor cameras (DX cameras), however it will work on most FX cameras, but the image captured will use only part of the cameras sensor. The FX lens will work on either kind of camera, but will effectively be a 75mm lens on a DX. So, most would say better for portraits. If you latter get a better FX camera, you will most likely have to get rid of the DX lenses for the better FX lenes. I would recommend the 50mm if portrait is a priority. I assume you have a DX camera, if you think you will not move to the more expensive FX camera and lenses some day ( D600, D700, D800, D4), then maybe you should stick with the DX. A 35mm lens on a DX camera is roughly equivalent to a normal lens ( 50mm ) on a FX camera. Image stabilization is seldom offered on prime (single focal length) lenses, particularly normal and wide angle. I am not aware of any that have it less than the 105mm macro (a wonderful lens). JD

I'm using D5100. I want these lens cause im looking for that blury bokeh effect in portraits.

If by stabilization, you are referring to the VR (Vibration Reduction), then you don't have to worry about that because Nikon doesn't offer a 50mm with VR. You will need one with the SWM (Silent Wave Motor) technology to go with the D5100 as it does not have the internal motor.

As to which you need...I got a 50mm first as I felt it would double as a portrait lens while I was on DX format, and once I moved up to FX, it would be my standard. If you don't plan to be moving up to FX, I would recommend the 35mm, as it is the standard equivalent for a crop sensor.

I would do the 50mm.... anything below 50mm can be problematic with barrel distortion in portraiture, if you are too close. That and that paticular 35.. is known for bad CA (yes... easily removable in Post... but why bother)

Last edited:
You will need one with the SWM (Silent Wave Motor) technology to go with the D5100 as it does not have the internal motor.

The particular model is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G and not the f/1.8 AF D. The latter does not autofocus with the D5000/D3000/D40/D50 series as these models do not have an internal focus motor as already mentioned . If you can shoot in manual, this lens can provide you sharp pictures and save you $100 compared to the AF-S G version. But having AF does have its merits.

Take your kit lens and shoot at 35mm one day. The next day shoot at 50mm. See which one you like better and you will answer your own question....

Take your kit lens and shoot at 35mm one day. The next day shoot at 50mm. See which one you like better and you will answer your own question....

This is what I did before getting the 35mm f/1.8G. I also shot at 40mm as it was another lens a friend recommended.

I used a 5100 for about a year and it was my 1st serious dSLR. The 5100 doesn't have a internal focusing motor so the 50mm f/1.8D won't auto focus but will manual focus. The 35mm AF-S ( the (S) stands for silent wave motor) has it's own built in focusing motor like the kit lens so it will auto focus with your 5100. Neither one of those lenses have VR and at 35mm, VR isn't as important as it is on longer lenses. I have the 35mm f/1.8 that you are considering and I love it. It works so well in low light. I use it all the time and it is razor sharp from f/2.8 on and is usable at f/1.8 in a pinch.

good luck and keep snapping.

Most reactions

Back