DoctorDementia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and to photograpy.
I'd like to purchase a reflex (until now I've tried only a compact camera and some entry level at school), but I'm not entirely sure of my choice.
I am looking for a not-too-much expensive camera and I was thinking about the Canon EOS 1300d.
Did anyone try it? Do you think it's a good camera for a total noob (as myself) or will it be a waste of money? (I've reed many reviews of the previous model and almost everyone was enthusiastic about the product, but I was just wondering if this is the right model to buy)
Feel free to recommend me other models or other brands (and if I wrote something horribly wrong, please, correct me or make me notice). Thanks in advance.

I have never used any of the new canon DSLRs but had an old eos g film camera years ago.
Honestly, I wish I had just bought a really nice camera to start off with so I didn't have to keep upgrading and end up spending several times the cost of a better camera if I had just gone that route.

If I were to start in the hobby / profession today, I'd just get a Nikon D500 and not waste time and money with 3 to 5 cameras in between a base model and what I ended up with and save the headache and cash that went into all the upgrades in between.
The nice thing about Nikon is that lenses will work on the new ones that were bought for the older cameras. Some Canon will also work, but many will not be forward compatible for some silly reason (planned obsolescence).

Why not get a D5? I personally never liked the FX cameras I had and always ended up just grabbing the DX bodies even when I had both. FX cameras are supposedly nice for some things, but they are evidently things I generally don't do or don't care about when I go out with a camera. I'd rather compose then shoot than shoot and crop to compose. I know people that feel the opposite and neither is right for everyone.

Thanks for relplying.
So you think it's not a good idea to start out with a basic camera but pointing on a more expensive and higher quality camera(?).
I'd really like to buy a good camera, but my budget is really small, I was really pointing on the 1300d because it is really cheap and I can easily reach that price and I can't consider a camera that is 1000€ +.
If you have an alternative that is around 400/600€ I'm interested but I can't go up! (I haven't enough kidneys to sell)

If I were to start in the hobby / profession today, I'd just get a Nikon D500 and not waste time and money with 3 to 5 cameras in between a base model and what I ended up with and save the headache and cash that went into all the upgrades in between.

Why not get a D5?

So you recommend a $1,800 Nikon D500 body, then a $6,500 Nikon D5 Body USD to a new photographer?
Then they would have to add lenses?

Versus a 1300D which is $500 with a 18-55 entry level lens.

What is your OP's budget?

Well, right now I have 300€ saved, but I think I can easily reach 400€ while to arrive at 500/600€ is a bit more difficult for me; you have to understand that I'm 16 with no job and even my parents don't have much money to give me.
So if you have a good choice around 400€ it would be perfect!

OK, as much fun as it would be to go for the kill and buy a D5 or a Hasselblad, you're a beginner and don't even know if you'll enjoy it enough to really continue, so a 1300D sounds like a good deal to me. Have you checked out the used market at all?

Do you have an interest in photography that you think will continue to grow? If so, choose your company. Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. Me personally I picked canon. Secondly, how much do you know about photography basics? ISO, shutter speed, aperture. If you feel like you need to learn those basics, too much camera may intimidate you. You may want to go on ebay and buy a used body and a zoom lens. If you get a used body of you don't like photography you aren't out a lot, if you do you can turn around and sell it after you learn it and get yourself the camera you want. I bought a Canon digital rebel xti (450D) 10 years ago. After three years or so I lost interest because I hit my peak with that body and couldn't produce the images I wanted in the places I was shooting. I used it on and off to take photos for people but never really went out for myself just to enjoy shooting. Fast forward to a month ago or so and I've used my new Canon 80D at least 5 days a week and got two new lenses, a canon battery grip and an awesome tripod and backpack. What I'm saying is buy conservatively. I am a firm believer in buying once even if it's just outside of my budget but get used to shooting in manual. And buy QUALITY lenses. There is nothing more degrading than having a great camera body and a mediocre lens. You just don't get the image quality and then the body is all but useless. It's like asking someone with vision problems to proof read the dictionary. They may be the best at doing it but if their glasses aren't the right prescription they're as good as blind and the job may have some issues.

I WOULD look for a used Nikon D5500 and an 18-55 VR kit zoom lens, and start with that. The image quality will be very high. The sensor is a good one. The price is reasonable.

OK, as much fun as it would be to go for the kill and buy a D5 or a Hasselblad, you're a beginner and don't even know if you'll enjoy it enough to really continue, so a 1300D sounds like a good deal to me. Have you checked out the used market at all?
Actually yes, I've checked it out but I have to search more to see if I find any good deal

Ah, Sony ... I have a love and hate relationship with them ... I have a great camera (A77mII) but I don't like that they do not have an extensive lens line up for mid $. They have some awesome lenses in the high $ range but lack in the middle. Most of my lenses are used and many old Minolta Maxxum lenses.
I have heard good things about Pentax bodies and they have a history of producing some great glass (though not sure if they are expensive).

Pentax will be a better bargain. More camera for the money. Lenses are excellent for a better price (and that's not even including legacy lenses, which can are quite affordable and compatible.) I'd start with a K5.

Pentax will be a better bargain. More camera for the money. Lenses are excellent for a better price (and that's not even including legacy lenses, which can are quite affordable and compatible.) I'd start with a K5.

Seems really a good camera with great performance but even an used one would be too expensive for me.
------------------
About Sony, the Alpha 58k is more affordable and a great start, but I'm still not sure. Recently I was thinking about Nikon D3300 that seems really a good start: it only costs 375€ (only body) and, against Canon 1300d, it has 24,2 MP for the same price. In the EU version I'm keeping an eye on is the 18-55mm VR kit (that means, as far as I can understand, that it has image stabilizer (maybe?)) but if you have a better lens to reccomend, feel free to.

Seems really a good camera with great performance but even an used one would be too expensive for me.
------------------
About Sony, the Alpha 58k is more affordable and a great start, but I'm still not sure. Recently I was thinking about Nikon D3300 that seems really a good start: it only costs 375€ (only body) and, against Canon 1300d, it has 24,2 MP for the same price. In the EU version I'm keeping an eye on is the 18-55mm VR kit (that means, as far as I can understand, that it has image stabilizer (maybe?)) but if you have a better lens to reccomend, feel free to.

How about a K50?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back