C&C Please? Should I use fill flash for this?

tmjjk

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$1 (1 of 1)-55.jpgThanks for any help

Why not try it and see? It only takes a couple of seconds to stick a slash in the hot shoe and try it. If you don't like it you've only lost a frame of digital memory. If you do like it then you have improved a shot.

The bottom line: When in doubt, give it a try.

Why not try it and see? It only takes a couple of seconds to stick a slash in the hot shoe and try it. If you don't like it you've only lost a frame of digital memory. If you do like it then you have improved a shot.

The bottom line: When in doubt, give it a try.
Wish me luck SCraig... I have a shoot today with a graduating senior... I'm going to try this flash thing out :)

Yeah, or a reflector just to the bottom right of the picture would probably work as well.

thank you fjrabon... I will get this figured out :) I have the reflector, just have to use it! I also have to man up ( or woman up in my case) and learn to use some flash. After first using my reflector I couldn't believe how much it improved my shots. I have to either get an assistant or a stand though. I am having a terrible time with positioning it properly.

thank you fjrabon... I will get this figured out :) I have the reflector, just have to use it! I also have to man up ( or woman up in my case) and learn to use some flash. After first using my reflector I couldn't believe how much it improved my shots. I have to either get an assistant or a stand though. I am having a terrible time with positioning it properly.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I ended up sort of rigging a microphone stand (I have a lot of them from various sound jobs I've done), a coat hanger and some clamps. It works relatively well. THe mic stand is sort of heavy to carry around, but I'd probably have to carry around more sand bags if it wasn't so heavy anyway.

1$1 (1 of 1)-3.jpg
2$1 (1 of 1)-6.jpg
3$1 (1 of 1)-12.jpg
4$1 (1 of 1)-13.jpg Not very happy with the way these turned out... help??

1 seems to need a white balance adjustment. It's too cold compared to his skin tone in the rest. I'd also have used a polarizer since he has glasses to cut down on the reflected glare from the glasses.

I like 2 a lot.

3 I'm not a fan of crooked shots, but that's just me. Seems like it needs a very mild WB adjustment, and you probably need to burn the shirt down, or possibly apply a selective curves adjustment. It's also just an awkward pose.

The blown out background highlights in 4 are distracting.

As fjrabon mentioned light from a flash is cold. Add a little warmth in post processing and it will take that harshness out of it.

I also agree that the second is very good.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post, but I do think that these look a lot better than the first one in this thread. The light is much more even in my opinion.

did you use straight flash or softbox? I'm guessing straight flash. some sort of diffuser on that flash would have made a difference I believe. I really like shot number 2

Do you have access to a young person who might be trained to hold the reflector? Admitedly, I have not done this, but it sure seems like a good place for someone to learn photography from the ground up. I envision someone between 12 and 16 who can learn to "aim" the reflected light while staying out of the frame. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help... I will keep working on it.

Any better?

Untitled-1-5.jpg

Any better?

if your edit is on the right, It looks like you removed all the warmth, and added too much green. Green skin tones are not pretty!

Any better?

I definitely prefer the original. The original had more depth of colour and contrast.

For the shot in the first post, I'd do as others have suggested and give the reflector a try. But honestly, I think the shot has turned really well. The reflector might've been useful to brighten up the eyes a smidge, but overall, the shadows and general exposure are very nice.

Most reactions

Back