Camera and lens recommendations for nature photography ($300 budget)

brother86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to buy my first camera but not sure what to get. I plan on taking pictures of animals. The total I would like to spend on the camera and the lens is $300. Am I able to get "good" pictures with that budget? What model cameras and what size lens do you recommend? I'm looking to buy something from ebay. Thanks.

You can get good pictures on a budget.

You say you wish to take animal pictures. I'm going to guess wild animals. With this in mid at your price point a DSLR will not work. $300 won't get you a decent wildlife lens let alone a camera or it would be horribly out of date and have a lens better suited to landscape photography.
Having said this I would recommend looking into bridge/superzoom cameras. They offer a lot of range from wide open to a huge zoom. Is the quality the same as a dedicated lens on a DSLR? Not quite but some get at least 70% of the quality of DSLR rigs that cost thousands more.
In your price range you should be able to find a decent bridge camera that can accomplish your goals.

With that budget, I agree with your decision to look at used stuff.
But also consider looking on your local Craigslist photography section. You'll often see people selling barely used kits with a camera body, a lens or two, batteries... for a steal.

Being a Nikon user, that's where I would steer you since that's all I know. But any of the major manufacturers make good stuff that will allow you to have fun.

Don't get hung up on a zillion megapixels in a camera, you could take good pictures, have a ton of fun, and learn a lot with an old D90 and a 70-300 lens. But I think you may need to spend more especially on eBay.

I agree also on the used side of things.

I pointed out on a previous thread this point:
Many of the used cameras today that fall within your reach were when new top end top of the line cameras and lenses that did some really good work. The quality overall was far superior to the first gen. DSLRs and are capable of some really good work.

I reference KEH.com on a regular basis because the deals are usually quite nice.
Anything int he 15-20 Mp range will work for you and an example (canon here) is a Rebel 18 Mp in good shape running 80-150 dollars US.

The glass is another matter, and looking at some of the older lenses is not bad. just have hunt long and hard for the great deal.
Don't rule out the thrift stores either. Some killer deals can be had at goodwill and Savers as well. Just check them out carefully.

Most reactions

Back