Camera choice D810 or D850

scaryloud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm considering going with one of the 2 listed cameras. The D810 would be easier to obtain. I would have to sell off my D750 and my 2 Gopro cameras to get it.

The D850 would be quite a bit bigger of a challenge. I would also have to sell my D500 and D300 and my Nikon 10-20mm lens.

My question is do you think it's worth it to go for the D850 or would you go for the D810 to keep multiple bodies?

I shoot a lot of landscape, wildlife, macro and a little portraiture.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

That's of course a wide open question and you will probably get a variety of suggestions. What I would ask myself is do I use/need the other bodies? Or what benefit do they have in keeping them?

If you are keeping the other bodies because you actually use them for a specific purpose the D850 isn't capable of, then I think you have your answer. If you're only keeping them because you own them and dont like to part with things, then perhaps selling and upgrading to a body that will be relevant and capable for the next 10+ years might be a good option.

Thank you for the reply. The camera I'd have the most trouble parting with is the D500. I use it a lot for wildlife and macros and love the edge to edge focus points. I don't use the D300 much anymore because of the D500, but the wife SAYS she wants to learn. The camera I'm trying to part with the most is my D750. I do like it a lot, just would like more resolution for cropping portraits.

I was told many years ago when I first got into photography always buy the best you can possibly afford...

If you had the D850 why would need any of the others,its fast enough FPS for wildlife,has lots of pixels for cropping and still probably end up with more resolution in the final images and if you ad the grip, I believe jumps up to 9FPS on top of the touch screen fully functional.The only disadvantage I see is the price tag.

I agree with DarkShadow. The D850 is a great camera from what I hear and read. I personally like having two cameras on most shoots. One wide and one telephoto. I doubt I would do that if I shot wildlife, which is rare for me.

I'm told the D850 in crop mode is the same resolution as the D500.

If it was me, I would rent one for a weekend before I cleaned out my entire collection in favor of the D850 (even tho that 850 is the camera I suspect I would love).

Last edited:
The 850 is an amazing camera; the D810 is a great camera... what is it that you're NOT getting from the D500, which is an extremely capable camera in its own right, that you feel would be resolved with the D810/50?

Something I would also think about is will the rest of your workflow struggle with the huge file size of the D850? You may need to add more storage, RAM, or processor power, or even get a new computer all together to handle the files without it being painfully slow.. The files out of my D800 are taxing enough and I have a fairly powerful computer with terabytes of storage.

It may not be a deal breaker, but its definitely something to consider.

I love my D850. File size is huge and I have had to clear out lots of misc stuff I had stored on my computer. Important stuff went to external, the rest just got deleted.

When I do a shoot, I used to use delete the photos that were out of focus or truly bad. Now not only do I delete the bad, but also any picture that I do not expect to use.

I have a high mileage D810 that I have been thinking about selling (and a D4) since I pretty much always shoot with my D500 anyways. If you want a bargain shoot me a PM..

The 850 is an amazing camera; the D810 is a great camera... what is it that you're NOT getting from the D500, which is an extremely capable camera in its own right, that you feel would be resolved with the D810/50?
It's not so much the D500 I want to upgrade, rather the D750. I'm leaning more toward the D810, but I've read the D850 is the be all end all. Of course everyone said that when the D800 series came out also. But the D850 having the BCMOS sensor for better low light is a big sticking point, along with the 8k "auto" time lapse capability.

Something I would also think about is will the rest of your workflow struggle with the huge file size of the D850? You may need to add more storage, RAM, or processor power, or even get a new computer all together to handle the files without it being painfully slow.. The files out of my D800 are taxing enough and I have a fairly powerful computer with terabytes of storage.

It may not be a deal breaker, but its definitely something to consider.
Computing power shouldn't be an issue. I buy gaming computers to handle my photo/video editing. Storage though is a big sticking point. At 100mb file size it would certainly change my shooting style...which is the one thing I don't really want to have to change.

I have a high mileage D810 that I have been thinking about selling (and a D4) since I pretty much always shoot with my D500 anyways. If you want a bargain shoot me a PM..
How high mileage?

I have to check, think it's around 130k on the shutter. Geniune Nikon grip, extra batteries and 128GB CF card, 3rd party en-el18 for 7 FPS.. It's in good condition though..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back