Camera Suggestions

TheCheekyPixel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D5000 with an Af-s dx 18-55mm as well as macro and wide angle lenses.

I am a casual photographer who mainly photographs clothing as well as rock n roll dancing (low light and action combined).

My kit lense broke the other day and a replacement is proving hard to find (my camera isn't compatible with the Af-p models)...

Before I go ahead and find a new one I am thinking of just upgrading the body...

I am thinking of the D7100... but I need advice.. I am also considering swapping completely to Canon...

Any advice or suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Well low light and action is a very demanding situation. I have a D7200 and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the D7100 would be a great upgrade for you. It will handle low light better than your current camera, and will allow you to buy older glass as it has a focus motor, which your 5000 does not have. In that generation of bodies I think that Nikon had the better sensors, and you already have Nikon glass.

So I guess a D7100 and a fast lens (17-50/2.8) would probably be a huge step up from what you currently have.

Well low light and action is a very demanding situation. I have a D7200 and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the D7100 would be a great upgrade for you. It will handle low light better than your current camera, and will allow you to buy older glass as it has a focus motor, which your 5000 does not have. In that generation of bodies I think that Nikon had the better sensors, and you already have Nikon glass.

So I guess a D7100 and a fast lens (17-50/2.8) would probably be a huge step up from what you currently have.

That's sort of what I'm hoping.. I've had the 5000 for coming up to 7 years now... time for an upgrade... the 7200 would have been good except for the weight... it would be nearly 250gram heavier than my current...

That's sort of what I'm hoping.. I've had the 5000 for coming up to 7 years now... time for an upgrade... the 7200 would have been good except for the weight... it would be nearly 250gram heavier than my current...

Well I'm not sure that the D7100 is much lighter tbh. And fast glass is also quite heavy. If weight is a problem a mirror-less system might be the way to go, I have no experience with them though. I know the Fuji/Sony and Olympus all have good mirror-less systems.

Well this site says they both have 675g.
Nikon D7200 vs D7100
So I guess you still have some reading to do.

(my camera isn't compatible with the Af-p models)...
Your D5000 is indeed compatible with Nikon AF-D lenses.

The D5000 is one of Nikon's 'compact' entry level cameras.
Nikon was able to make the #200 & 5000 series camera bodies a bit smaller (compact) by not including their auto focus motor and screw-drive system that Nikon puts in all it's other DSLRs.

The only thing an AF-D lens on your D5000 can't do is auto focus.
Everything electronic and computer wise, other than the auto focus motor and screw-drive, is there to help you manually focus an AF-D lens.
All you have to do is turn the focus ring by hand on the lens body. The camere will light the In Focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus is achieved at the selected auto focus point.
See page 156 - Custom Settings Menu a4: Rangefinder in your D5000 User Manual

Nikon was able to make the #200 & 5000 series camera bodies a bit smaller (compact) by not including their auto focus motor and screw-drive system that Nikon puts in all it's other DSLRs.

Everything electronic and computer wise, other than the auto focus motor and screw-drive, is there to help you manually focus an AF-D lens.
All you have to do is turn the focus ring by hand on the lens body. The camere will light the In Focus indicator in the viewfinder when focus is achieved at the selected auto focus point.

Everything you write is true about Nikkor AF-D lenses, KmH. But the OP wrote that her camera is "not compatible with the Af-p models." She was referring to AF-P ,which is the very-newest autofocus system, that Nikon premiered just a few months ago, especially on 18-55 and 70-300 lenses. This new AF-P protocol uses stepper motors in the lenses, and makes even fairly slow lenses focus MUCH better than even better-spec'd lenses like the 10-years-old 70-300 AF-S G VR: even with a much smaller max aperture on the new 70-300 AF-P!

Check out Thom Hogan's review of the new AF-P lenses on the low-end D3400. VERY impressive!!! But yeah, as the OP mentioned, even fairly new cameras can NOT use the AF-P series lenses.

Personally, I think Nikon blew it naming this AF-P. Wayyy too easy to confuse with the P-series lenses, or with AF-D, and this new name does not name the stepper motor by letter in a way most English speakers would recognize.

Everything you write is true about Nikkor AF-D lenses, KmH. But the OP wrote that her camera is "not compatible with the Af-p models." She was referring to AF-P ,which is the very-newest autofocus system, that Nikon premiered just a few months ago, especially on 18-55 and 70-300 lenses. This new AF-P protocol uses stepper motors in the lenses, and makes even fairly slow lenses focus MUCH better than even better-spec'd lenses like the 10-years-old 70-300 AF-S G VR: even with a much smaller max aperture on the new 70-300 AF-P!

Check out Thom Hogan's review of the new AF-P lenses on the low-end D3400. VERY impressive!!! But yeah, as the OP mentioned, even fairly new cameras can NOT use the AF-P series lenses.

Personally, I think Nikon blew it naming this AF-P. Wayyy too easy to confuse with the P-series lenses, or with AF-D, and this new name does not name the stepper motor by letter in a way most English speakers would recognize.

Thank you! Yes well after accidentally buying an AF-P lense after being told it was compatible I now know the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

There ought to be some of the earlier 18-55 zooms available, in either the VR version, or the non-VR variant. Look to the larger dealers, like Walmart, BestBuy, Adorama, B&H Photo & Video, Roberts Imaging, and Cameta Camera. These outlets often have big inventory, and have strong dealerships.

But yeah...the AF-P protocol will NOT work on some fairly new Nikon bodies! But there are multiple, other zooms for your D5000. The real issue now is this: the very-newest Nikon APS-C camera models have much better sensors than the D5000 had. The differences ae REAL.

Go to DxO mark on-line, and check out sensor scores and performance.

There ought to be some of the earlier 18-55 zooms available, in either the VR version, or the non-VR variant. Look to the larger dealers, like Walmart, BestBuy, Adorama, B&H Photo & Video, Roberts Imaging, and Cameta Camera. These outlets often have big inventory, and have strong dealerships.

But yeah...the AF-P protocol will NOT work on some fairly new Nikon bodies! But there are multiple, other zooms for your D5000. The real issue now is this: the very-newest Nikon APS-C camera models have much better sensors than the D5000 had. The differences ae REAL.

Thanks. I should have pointed out that I live in Australia... they are still around but hard to find or only from dodgy looking eBay dealers... none of our major shops have any :/
Hence my consideration of just upgrading given I think my other 2 lenses will still be compatible with either the 7100 or 7200

Thanks. I should have pointed out that I live in Australia... they are still around but hard to find or only from dodgy looking eBay dealers... none of our major shops have any :/
Hence my consideration of just upgrading given I think my other 2 lenses will still be compatible with either the 7100 or 7200

I honestly don't see an advantage to replacing your lens with another kit lens. Like someone else suggested, an upgrade that would work both now on your D5000 and a new camera down the line would be a fast zoom.

Sigma makes a couple of them that are reasonably priced even new -- the 17-50mm 2.8 and the 17-70mm 2.8-4 -- that would be a sharp, fast upgrade to your kit lens. I'd look into those at reputable camera dealers there. Someone has got to sell used equipment there...I understand your feelings on finding things on eBay, but I bought a couple of lenses in great shape from there that have worked really well for a great price.

Then again, an camera upgrade never hurt anyone...I'd still consider the faster zooms than the kit either way though.

If you fill in locational data on your profile, people will better be able to assist you. My understanding is that the Australia market has rather high prices on photo gear, compared to North America or Europe.

keep in mind, the greater weight of the D7100 or D7200 is in part, due to a BETTER through-the viewfinder experience. The D3xxx and D5xxx use pentamirrror viewfinders; the D5xxx models all have the flippy screen on the back; the D7xxx models use an all-glass pentaprism, and have a higher-magnification, better view through thge camera eyepiece.

I
t was, I believe the D5500 that introduced Nikon's FIRST-ever touch-to-focus, and touchscreen adjustment feature. I saw this detailed on YouTube on a Fro Knows Photo video, in where he shot inside a pizza parlor kitchen, and was MOST happy with tap-to-focus, and also the ability to adjust parameters using the touchscreen.

Keep in mind too, some of the newer small Nikons like D3400, have NFC and Bluetooth built in. There have been increases in the viewfinder magnification since the D5000 was new, as well. Not trying to be critical of the D5000, but it is now like six models back, and has technology from another entire era. Video, tap-to-focus, WiFi/Bluetooth/NFC, touchscreen on the newer 5xxx models,bigger viewfinder, higher quality rear screen, significantly better low-light sensor performance: these are the things Nikon has innovated since the D5000 was new.

So...if you want to stay in the same model-class, there ARE real, new innovations in the 5xxx class.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back