Can a Canon Pro 1 mix it with the best DSLR ?

atp_design

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.atpimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK Im new to the forums and although i have been taking photos around the world for several years, i still feel inferior to the talents ive already seen on here. So here goes my little introduction :)

I am the happy owner of a 4 year old Canon Powershot Pro 1 Full digital non SLR. 8mp + polarizer filter.

I would like to break into automotive photography similar to the photographic style those of cars featured in Easton Changs portfolio. How he does it remains his secret but im trying :)

If anyone is selling a great condition Canon 5D - 30D please let me know :thumbup:

I'll attach a few pics of my work to date. None of these pics were taken with a SLR.

Cottesloe_1280.jpg

gab_1280.jpg

SH_1280.jpg

NYC-Times-square-small.jpg

Sydney-Harbour-Bridge-small.jpg

Pic. 1 Cottesloe Beach, Perth Western Australia.
Pic. 2 Great Australian Bight, South Australia
Pic. 3 Sydney Harbour
Pic. 4 Times Square, New York
Pic. 5 Sydney Harbour Bridge

I have dozens more but i didnt want to 'show off' in my first post, if you know what i mean.

Domromer, i have pics of Cronulla Beach but am yet to upload them.

I hate that you've been to all those awesome places and I haven't....grrr. Great shots with a non-slr camera.

excellent photos man.. i would love to travel to Australia one day. Good luck finding your slr

Good shots photographically speaking, but as for your question in the title of the thread, no it cannot. I see grain, and oversaturation, as well as some of what looks like bad color representation in your photos. Your tallent surpasses mine but if you were holding even an entry level DSLR with a good lens, you could've beaten yourself for the fine details for the photos.

Good shots photographically speaking, but as for your question in the title of the thread, no it cannot. I see grain, and oversaturation, as well as some of what looks like bad color representation in your photos. Your tallent surpasses mine but if you were holding even an entry level DSLR with a good lens, you could've beaten yourself for the fine details for the photos.

The issues you describe are due to the physical size of the P&S sensor (dinky). There's absolutely no solution other than replacing the camera with a DSLR.

Yeah, there is no comparison between the nicest P&S and a SLR. Sure a P&S may make some nice shots (because we always say it's not the camera, it's the photographer) but technically speaking there are things a P&S just cannot do well. Kick up the ISO on a P&S and it gets real ugly real fast. Shoot in low light...Yuck! Take a picture of a bird of a bird in the distance with that dinky little lens...it's not all that pretty.

They are beautiful shots to me. But why are they so colourful? It happened with my nokia n73 which to me seem produce very colourful pictures more than original. But the first picture look beatiful nature to me, natural colours.

They are beautiful shots to me. But why are they so colourful? It happened with my nokia n73 which to me seem produce very colourful pictures more than original. But the first picture look beatiful nature to me, natural colours.

Fair call and a valid one.
As we all know, saving and compressing files from RAW to JPG or JPG to smaller JPG tends to wash out a lot of the colour from the originals colour gamut, especially when saving from Photoshop 'save for web and devices'. So to quickly overcome this i set up an action to increase the saturation by 17points and slightly adjust the curves. The end result is more like the original instead of a washed out pale image.
Secondly, i have noticed each computer monitor has its own gamma / photoshop calibration settings. This too can result in one monitor making an image very saturated or just how the photo was shot - like mine. (Apple Powerbook G4 17")
I work as a graphic designer and i deal with these complications regularily.

So to get back to my original idea of purchasing a DSLR, what would be a good one to get ?
I am a Canon person and i cant afford a 1D mkIII so please dont state the obvious, lol.

Im looking for one that has more bang for buck, if you know what i mean.

Fair call and a valid one.
As we all know, saving and compressing files from RAW to JPG or JPG to smaller JPG tends to wash out a lot of the colour from the originals colour gamut, especially when saving from Photoshop 'save for web and devices'. So to quickly overcome this i set up an action to increase the saturation by 17points and slightly adjust the curves. The end result is more like the original instead of a washed out pale image.
Secondly, i have noticed each computer monitor has its own gamma / photoshop calibration settings. This too can result in one monitor making an image very saturated or just how the photo was shot - like mine. (Apple Powerbook G4 17")
I work as a graphic designer and i deal with these complications regularily.

This is the first thing I check and it seem my laptop does give not so accurate colours. I have desktop which I used for comparison and yap the pictures are different but not great. The opera house and the one above it still look very colourful to. I live in sydney and pass through that place like 2 or 3 times a week, or more. But the funnything thing that hour bridge looks normal.

Anyway, my camera (nikon d40) did the same, it gave me very bluish sky colour when my eyes did not see any blue colour there. I took those pictures about 1 hour before sunrise, it was still dark. They are blurry pictures as I took it handheld.

So to get back to my original idea of purchasing a DSLR, what would be a good one to get? I am a Canon person and i cant afford a 1D mkIII so please dont state the obvious, lol.

Im looking for one that has more bang for buck, if you know what i mean.

Do you think one of those boxes out there will produce better pictures for you than the other? If it is I do want to see it place side by side. That is the only way we can determine as - which one does what and by who.

All modern Canon DSLRs are capable of the same professional quality shots, it just depends on the package you want feature wide. I suggest a Canon 30D that is leftover on shelves since the 40D came out. You can find a GREAT deal on them bundled with the 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS lens because of the 40D replacing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back