Canon 30d

This is why I love Flickr.

Nikon D40 info & photos:
Flickr: Camera Finder: Nikon: D40

Your camera isn't taking bland pictures, you are.

Exactly.

Go into your D60's picture controls, go to vivid and crank the settings, the won't be bland anymore. Also, try using a 30D before you buy it, you'll hate the LCD, trust me, it's green. It's lousy and cannot be used to gauge anything but focus because the color is so off.

Not only that, but the guy who you're talking to, I can *almost* guarantee that he does post production on his pictures when I know for a fact that you don't. You can make an image have as much pop as you want or make it look super flat in post.

If you want to spend hundreds of dollars just to later realize you're in the same position you're in right now, then buy a new camera, keep thinking it's the equipment. Otherwise, shoot more pictures, and learn your cameras color controls if you insist on shooting jpeg. Heck, if you want the same results as your photographer buddy, then obtain and learn photoshop.

There is going to be no significant difference in pictures produced form a D60 to a 30D, I gaurantee. If anything, the picture quality is in the lens. The camera itself is nothing more than a glorified circut board with a sensor. Heres some photos I took with the D40 and D70S, both of which ironically tote a lesser sensor than the D60.

3241821883_c77d2166f5.jpg

3226721120_c0fbebe242.jpg

2738070307_bba0a7d478.jpg

3135407613_d84921a989.jpg

3061929919_6acc7ede8a.jpg

Wow now these are beautiful. Well I've decided to keep my camera anyway and just practice. I got to a few good parts of the manual last night and it gave me hope. LOL I'll practice on doing some manual work with it instead of automatic.:wink:

So basically you are saying "Guns don't kill people" and "Camera's don't take bad pictures, people take bad pictures"

-JD-

Generally, yes.

There's exceptions and such. If some one said I've been shooting for five years and some one said a 5D MKII will improve the image quality of my photos over the 30D I'm shooting with, then I'd say "Hell yeah."

But the OP is saying her camera takes bad pictures. Ask any experienced photographer and they'll tell you that you could hand them an entry level camera and they could take good pictures despite owning whatever it is they currently shoot with.

My sig says it all, quite sarcastically that is.

Wow now these are beautiful. Well I've decided to keep my camera anyway and just practice. I got to a few good parts of the manual last night and it gave me hope. LOL I'll practice on doing some manual work with it instead of automatic.:wink:

What you should do is when you take a photo and you think it's bland and you want to find out what to do to improve your photography, you should post the picture on here and ask "How do I improve this and what am I doing wrong?" You'll get better results and learn more that way.

What you should do is when you take a photo and you think it's bland and you want to find out what to do to improve your photography, you should post the picture on here and ask "How do I improve this and what am I doing wrong?" You'll get better results and learn more that way.

I have posted pictures on here. Actually I posted 4 yesterday. Title of thread being More pictures for C&C. So go have a look and you can help with those

Exactly.

Also, try using a 30D before you buy it, you'll hate the LCD, trust me, it's green. It's lousy and cannot be used to gauge anything but focus because the color is so off.

That's the first I've heard of that. But then again, I'm only checking for focus and light levels on mine.

Btw, my post was a joke guys!

-JD-

Last edited:
Hi,

I've read photography forums and magazines for many years and I've seen lots and lots of questions like this. Hoping for improvement through buying new kit is always very tempting, I do it myself too, but I'd say that it rarely seems to work very well unless the existing kit is actually inadequate for the job in some way.

In this case, Beth, your kit should already be more than capable of producing excellent pictures quite easily, and if you look around the web you'll probably see loads of great photographs taken with it, so changing it is unlikely to help at all. I suspect that you'd get far better results through taking the time to read up on photography a bit more, practice taking lots of shots and see what works and what doesn't, play with the camera settings and try different shooting modes and so on - there are loads of settings to fiddle with on modern cameras.

Don't get too concerned with technical issues though, there is also the artistic side of photography to consider. You can have lots of fun with composition and finding new ways to look at things even before your shots reach technical brilliance. Which is good, because mine still haven't!

If you would still like to invest in equipment then it may make more sense to get additional things, rather than replacing what you already have. Books are always good if you like reading. You could consider image editing software, too - its seen by many (though not all) as an important part of digital photography, although that too is something that takes time to learn to use for best results. Many photographs can be improved through playing with the brightness, contrast and color saturation in such software, and even more complex adjustments can be made. Though this is an additional step so please don't see it as a magic solution to bad photography.

That said, if you are rich one benefit of buying the best kit available would be to finally prove to yourself that a great camera doesn't make a great photographer - in fact it could even do the opposite, since entry-level cameras tend to offer the beginner more help than pro cameras do. If I could afford it I may be tempted to get a great camera myself, then maybe I'd finally stop wishing for the best kit and spend my efforts more usefully, such as learning to take better pictures!

All just my opinions anyway - in case you find anything useful in them.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin...although I've decided to keep the Nikon at least for now. I have been reading some and learning something new everyday. I've decided to give myself a challenge and go for the 365 project.

Thanks Kevin...although I've decided to keep the Nikon at least for now. I have been reading some and learning something new everyday. I've decided to give myself a challenge and go for the 365 project.
Sounds like a good decision to me, I'm fairly sure that you'd be dissapointed with the results if you just tried a different brand of camera.

Have fun with the project!

Kevin

That's the first I've heard of that. But then again, I'm only checking for focus and light levels on mine.

-JD-

Bring your 30D for reference and go into your local camera store, shoot a picture and take a look at any of the newer nikon's or a 50D and compare it to the same image on your 30D. You'll see what I mean and you'll hate your LCD. That's the worst part about the 30D and 5D, their LCD's are the worst that I have seen anywhere from anyone, it's stark unbelievable how canon said "OK".

Bring your 30D for reference and go into your local camera store, shoot a picture and take a look at any of the newer nikon's or a 50D and compare it to the same image on your 30D. You'll see what I mean and you'll hate your LCD. That's the worst part about the 30D and 5D, their LCD's are the worst that I have seen anywhere from anyone, it's stark unbelievable how canon said "OK".

Well all those cameras are about 2 generations newer. Compare a 30D to a d70 and see how they look.

Well all those cameras are about 2 generations newer. Compare a 30D to a d70 and see how they look.

Yeah.. The 30D is easier to see, but at least the D70's color is more accurate.

Most reactions

Back