zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so a local camera shop is bringing in this lens for me to view from one of their larger stores. It's used but their rating on it is 8/10. Same rating that my 400mm f5.6 had and it's only flaw was a 1/2 cm paint chip. I have the funds to spend on this. If I purchase this I will be keeping the 400mm for longer hikes and for my son to use.

So background out of the way. My question is for those that have used the version one of this lens.
1. Is the clarity of this at least on par with my current 400mm or (hopefully) a bit better?
2. Are there any cons to owning this lens? I know about the weight difference and have no issue with that.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

... Are there any cons to owning this lens? I know about the weight difference and have no issue with that.
It will be taller than you are when stood on end!

I shall just take off the lens hood then......who am I kidding. I'll still look like a munchkin stealing a cannon. lol

Okay so a local camera shop is bringing in this lens for me to view from one of their larger stores. It's used but their rating on it is 8/10. Same rating that my 400mm f5.6 had and it's only flaw was a 1/2 cm paint chip. I have the funds to spend on this. If I purchase this I will be keeping the 400mm for longer hikes and for my son to use.

So background out of the way. My question is for those that have used the version one of this lens.
1. Is the clarity of this at least on par with my current 400mm or (hopefully) a bit better?
2. Are there any cons to owning this lens? I know about the weight difference and have no issue with that.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
Besides weight the 500 F4 smokes the 400 in my humble opinion. Once you get to this level of lens you are basically talking about the best in the world.. Are you looking at a v1 or a v2? What's the price? Cosmetics don't make a difference in the world. When I shot with Melissa Groo last summer hers is probably a 6.5/10 cosmetically but a 11/10 for IQ..

It's a V1. If I get it (who am I kidding, I'm giddy just thinking about it) the price is under 5k. I agree outer appearance means nothing.
Great to hear about the IQ. I'll be taking a few test shots and will have my laptop with me to check them.

Side note, Just looked through some of your pics with the 500. Wow, very nice.

When I was reading your OP I kept thinking,he's gonna sell the 400 cheap!

Oh well.... I'm jealous but happy for you nonetheless. :)

It's a V1. If I get it (who am I kidding, I'm giddy just thinking about it) the price is under 5k. I agree outer appearance means nothing.
Great to hear about the IQ. I'll be taking a few test shots and will have my laptop with me to check them.

Side note, Just looked through some of your pics with the 500. Wow, very nice.
Thanks! I paid low 4s for mine with 1.4x and lens coat and it was probably 9/10. I know where you might be able to get a 6.5/10 for 3500 :)

Should state that the price is in Canadian peso's so probably works out to $49.95 USD. lol
Joking aside it'll work out to about $3600 US.

Should state that the price is in Canadian peso's so probably works out to $49.95 USD. lol
Great price then.. A few thoughts, obviously make sure the inner elements are clean. It is normal for the IS to make a slight buzzing sound. If AF stalls, make sure your camera is set to ON for "af when lens drive impossible" if you have any other questions or want to see raws, shot me a PM..

My only con about owning one of the "big boys" is that its very much not a casual use lens. You can't just throw it in you bag and go for a walk, you really have to plan out when, where and how you are planning on using it.

Great price then.. A few thoughts, obviously make sure the inner elements are clean. It is normal for the IS to make a slight buzzing sound. If AF stalls, make sure your camera is set to ON for "af when lens drive impossible" if you have any other questions or want to see raws, shot me a PM..

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll have question later.

My only con about owning one of the "big boys" is that its very much not a casual use lens. You can't just throw it in you bag and go for a walk, you really have to plan out when, where and how you are planning on using it.

You mean I won't be able to get those great stealth street pics?!?!. All kidding aside with my other hobbies I walk/run/hike with more than 50lbs so I'm kind if used to the suck.

Last edited:

I sorta kinda agree...except that I know of two women that carry it around like it's nothing (one I see regularly), and with no strap or monopod. I do remember it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the weight of the Tamron and it's not in the same league with either 500 f4. Come to think of it, most of the guys I see with it DO have it on a tripod. Go figure - probably means I would not be able to handle it.

The 500mm f/4 smokes the 400mm f/5.6 in IQ. Plus I think the 500mm handles TC better. And at that price you would be crazy not to pick it up. I was going to buy a 500mm a while back but I am waiting to try out my friends 400mm f/4 DO II lens first. He swears with a 1.4 tc III it is sharper then a 500mm. I dont believe that but I got to make sure before I buy the 500mm because the 400mm DO II is so much lighter. Plus I am not sure I want to give up the f/4 on the 500mm to f/5.6 on the 400mm DO II with the tc.

I sorta kinda agree...except that I know of two women that carry it around like it's nothing (one I see regularly), and with no strap or monopod. I do remember it took me a couple of weeks to get used to the weight of the Tamron and it's not in the same league with either 500 f4. Come to think of it, most of the guys I see with it DO have it on a tripod. Go figure - probably means I would not be able to handle it.
I have no problem hiking 5+ miles with it, but I have my crazy cheap strap, so all the weight is on my shoulders. I'm so used to the weight I don't even think about it, unless I forget my strap, then it sucks carrying it around by the tripod foot..
The 500mm f/4 smokes the 400mm f/5.6 in IQ. Plus I think the 500mm handles TC better. And at that price you would be crazy not to pick it up. I was going to buy a 500mm a while back but I am waiting to try out my friends 400mm f/4 DO II lens first. He swears with a 1.4 tc III it is sharper then a 500mm. I dont believe that but I got to make sure before I buy the 500mm because the 400mm DO II is so much lighter. Plus I am not sure I want to give up the f/4 on the 500mm to f/5.6 on the 400mm DO II with the tc.
I would be pretty surprised if the 400 DO II + TC was sharper than the 500 F4 Naked. I could be wrong though... Would love to see some tests..

Most reactions

Back