Canon 5D question

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The canon 5d mark 1 uses only EF lenses???

It is compatible with EF lenses...but not EF-S lenses.

It can use 'third patry' lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc) but would need 'full frame' lenses.

Well I decided to buy the 5d. Just the first one. I'm not spending all the extra money on the Mark II and I've decided to start using it for fashion photography. I have a friend that went to SCAD and she recommended that I use a 75-200 for people and the 200mm for fashion. So I'm planning to buy the lenses and was wondering about the EF thing...any other recommendations?

Canon makes 4 different '70-200mm' lenses. All are in the 'L' series...so they are top of the line.

70-200 F4
70-200 F4 IS
70-200 F2.8
70-200 F2.8 IS

What is your budget?

Canon makes 4 different '70-200mm' lenses. All are in the 'L' series...so they are top of the line.

70-200 F4
70-200 F4 IS
70-200 F2.8
70-200 F2.8 IS

What is your budget?

Oh gosh....well which one would be better for the fashion world?

Oh are these the lenses that are white? Is there a reason why they are white?

At first I had still planned on maybe buying these things used to start out but financing is always an option. LOL

Please realize you can edit posts.
It all depends on your price point, the difference between them is hundreds of dollars.

Oh gosh....well which one would be better for the fashion world?
I'd recommend one of the F2.8 versions because you can get shallower DOF with them....but also consider that they are really heavy lenses. The F4 versions are still tack sharp and great lenses.

Having Image Stabilization (IS) is better than not having it. You may not need it if you are shooting fashion in the studio with strobes but when shooting with natural light it can really be helpful.
I've got the 70-200 F2.8 L IS and it's far and away my favorite lens.

Oh are these the lenses that are white? Is there a reason why they are white?
Yes, these ones are white. All of Canon's telephoto L lenses are white. I think the original reason was that white was to keep them cooler when used outdoors in bright sunlight, as too much heat could affect the finely tuned parts of the lens. However, I think a bigger reason they are still white, is that it makes them easily recognizable. LINK

At first I had still planned on maybe buying these things used to start out but financing is always an option. LOL
These high quality lenses are built like tanks, so they are usually in good condition when you buy them used. But also consider than some of them get a lot of use and abuse from pros and you may not want one that has been put through the ringer.

Also note that Sigma and Tamron both make a 70-200mm F2.8 lens. Maybe not quite as good as the Canon L lenses, but pretty close and probably half the price.

Well I'll probably buy new then. I've been looking at a few on ebay. Boy there is such a price jump from the f/4 to the f/2.8. We're talking hundreds like someone said earlier in this post. You can get a 4 looks like for maybe 500 or less on ebay. but we are talking 15/1600 for the 2.8.

Well I'll probably buy new then. I've been looking at a few on ebay. Boy there is such a price jump from the f/4 to the f/2.8. We're talking hundreds like someone said earlier in this post. You can get a 4 looks like for maybe 500 or less on ebay. but we are talking 15/1600 for the 2.8
That's true...and many people go for the F4 version....but just about every professional I know, has a 70-200 F.8 lens of some sort.
Really, it's only one stop and with modern cameras and their great high ISO performance, we could easily get away with shooting at F4...but F2.8 is always going to be that little bit better than F4.
I think that's what it comes down to...knowing that you have the best lens. It would be disheartening to be shooting away with the F4 lens and knowing that you could have that shallower DOF that you really want...if only you hadn't skimped when you bought the lens.

Of course, it really depends on your shooting style. Shooting with a really shallow DOF is more artistic and maybe not suited to typical fashon photography.

The good news is that these lenses hold their value well (as you can see by the prices on E-bay). So if you buy one and later find that it's not the best choice for your style, you can sell it and buy a more appropriate lens, without losing your shirt.

having the 70-200 f4, i highly reccomend them for any work.

Ill go out on a limb here and reccomend the now discontinued 35-350mm for your fashion. Its a bit heavyer, but worth the wide range.

In addition, for still shots, I would also reccomend an 85mm or 135 soft focus.

Ok ill stretch it a bit further. Its gonna be for fashion and commercial photography. So will the 2.8 still be better then the 4?

So will the 2.8 still be better then the 4?
It'll be better when you're shooting in natural light. If you're going to be using studio lighting most of the time then the f/4.0 would be fine, but it won't have the extra shallow DOF the f/2.8 would have.

Most reactions

Back