Canon EFs 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM.

Groupcaptainbonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The day dawned when I felt the Kit lens that arrived with the Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) (The EFs 18 - 55mm) needed replacing.. (Although for £40.00 I won't hear a word said against it). I ordered the Canon EFs 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM. as it looked like a good alround "Working Lens" to me.
I have read some good and some bad reports on it, so It was with a little trepidation that I shelled out a kings ransom and change for the lens...

:lovey:Worth every penny.:wink:

:heart:very happy with the results, Sharp, good colour, good contrast and as yet no fringing visable..
So it has my seal of approval. Would happily reccomend it to anyone.:heart:

(O.K. so now I have set myself up as an "Aunt Sally" , You guys can throw all the down side comments at me. In fact I think that if anyone has some constructive negatives to alert me to, I would like to know what to look out for..):confused:

My only complaint is the vignetting that seems to only happen with a filter on it. Other then that, nice lens.

I had that lens and loved it! Great coverage in range for a light, small lens. The IS on the lens is worth it. I was at Disney World/ Epcot and was able to take sharp shots while walking as I released the shutter! Impossible to stand still and shoot in that environment with the hordes of people trudging around. That sold it for me. Only downside was the slow autofocus in lowlight, but that is what f/2.8's are for. Eventually sold my 17-85 to upgrade to L glass.

I have that lens and must say this it is much, much better than the 18-55 kit lens...the difference is immediately apparent when you pick it up...it's built much better than the kit lens. The image quality it very good although it does have a fair bit of barrel distortion at the wide end. The IS, is a great feature.

However, I shoot weddings and I tried this lens out while a guest at a relatives wedding. In a dimly lit church...the IS can combat camera shake but it can't do anything to stop the movement of the subjects...only a faster shutter speed can do that. Of course, the best way to get a faster shutter speed is with a larger aperture...that's where this lens comes up short.

I ended up buying a Tamron 17-50 F2.8. I still have the 17-85 IS, and use it from time to time. I may sell it someday though.

Thanks guys. I would expect barrel distortion at 17mm so that is not a prob. And I have a sigma 105 f2.8 for the L OW L I G H T end. so while I accept this as a problem it is not insurmountable..

Altogether not bad then... Good . I feel quite happy now now..

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back