Canon EOS 1Dx

Ive heard a rumour there is going to be an S version with more mega pixels for studio use

Wouldn't surprise me - unless canon are going to leave that to the 5DMII

The 1D line could easily be split into:
1D - base unit of 1.3 crop with high MP and fast AF
1DX - base unit of fullframe with lower MP thus allowing more fps and better high ISO (your sports fullframe)
1Ds - base unit of fullframe with higher MP count thus with less fps and possibly lower ISO range (your studio fullframe)

Unless the 5D series takes the 1Ds position of being aimed at the studio photographer. Be interesting to see what happens to the 1.3 line.

I think the price is not bad. I cant afford it but it is not as much as the 1Ds. I think it is an overkill for wedding photography... one day ill buy one used.

Ive heard a rumour there is going to be an S version with more mega pixels for studio use

1DX - base unit of fullframe with lower MP thus allowing more fps and better high ISO (your sports fullframe)
1Ds - base unit of fullframe with higher MP count thus with less fps and possibly lower ISO range (your studio fullframe)

Unless the 5D series takes the 1Ds position of being aimed at the studio photographer. Be interesting to see what happens to the 1.3 line.

I think the 1.3x line's dead after this, which personally I think's a shame:(

I think the 1.3x line's dead after this, which personally I think's a shame:(

I know the 1.3 line is popular with many sports and wildlife shooters - I'd be surprised if canon fully dropped it however (esp with 1.6 being supported up to the 7D line). I think the 1DMV will need to be something very special to compete with the fullframe alternative (since its sporting a newer AF and a faster FPS). However the 1.3crop against cropping from a 12mp camera I think the wildlife shooters at least might well stick to the 1.3 for the closer feeling angle of view.

Why be "surprised if they dropped it"? IT being the 1.3x line....Canon's official spokesman, Chuck Westfall says in plain,simple English that, "It's clear that the time has come for the 1DX to replace the whole 1D series." http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview

Over the past several years, Westfall has stated, publicly, that the 1.3x sensor size was a "measure" Canon took, based upon technology limitations, not a deliberate choice. The success of the initial Nikon D3 since 2007, in providing full-frame lens coverage, and with it much better High-ISO performance was a development that hurt Canon's sales and deployment in several markets. The D3s versus ID Mark IV high ISO comparisons made it clear that the full-frame sensor size is simply bigger...and better.

Again, Chuck Westfall told dPreview that the 1DX is the replacement for both the 1Ds and 1D bodies. Besides better noise performance, which he raves about, the new camera will also do something that it is hard to do: sell more very expensive bodies!!! Canon 1Ds sales have always been in low numbers...same with Nikon D3x sales...by eliminating the low-cost option, meaning the 1.3x body, and eliminating the over-$7,000 body, Canon can probably force users to pay up in much,much higher numbers than with the 1D line offering two bodies!

It really is a statement about Nikon that there are posts all over the internet like "The Canon 1DX kills the Nikon D3!!!!" Statements like this just show the superiority of Nikon, while they think they are praising Canon. What they're really saying is: "It's taken Canon almost 3 years, but they've finally produced something that could possibly rival what Nikon produced! Yes!!" I mean, it's really not that big of a deal on the grand scale. Nikon has the D4 in the works. So, in a few weeks/months, Nikon will be back on top with the D4 specs shown in a rumor similar to the Canon. Get a grip, people. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Mark

It really is a statement about Nikon that there are posts all over the internet like "The Canon 1DX kills the Nikon D3!!!!" Statements like this just show the superiority of Nikon, while they think they are praising Canon. What they're really saying is: "It's taken Canon almost 3 years, but they've finally produced something that could possibly rival what Nikon produced! Yes!!" I mean, it's really not that big of a deal on the grand scale. Nikon has the D4 in the works. So, in a few weeks/months, Nikon will be back on top with the D4 specs shown in a rumor similar to the Canon. Get a grip, people. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Mark

^ Then everything will be right in the world and you can chill out on posts like these ;) yayy cant wait.

Why be "surprised if they dropped it"? IT being the 1.3x line....Canon's official spokesman, Chuck Westfall says in plain,simple English that, "It's clear that the time has come for the 1DX to replace the whole 1D series." http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5149972341/canon-eos-1d-x-overview

Over the past several years, Westfall has stated, publicly, that the 1.3x sensor size was a "measure" Canon took, based upon technology limitations, not a deliberate choice. The success of the initial Nikon D3 since 2007, in providing full-frame lens coverage, and with it much better High-ISO performance was a development that hurt Canon's sales and deployment in several markets. The D3s versus ID Mark IV high ISO comparisons made it clear that the full-frame sensor size is simply bigger...and better.

Again, Chuck Westfall told dPreview that the 1DX is the replacement for both the 1Ds and 1D bodies. Besides better noise performance, which he raves about, the new camera will also do something that it is hard to do: sell more very expensive bodies!!! Canon 1Ds sales have always been in low numbers...same with Nikon D3x sales...by eliminating the low-cost option, meaning the 1.3x body, and eliminating the over-$7,000 body, Canon can probably force users to pay up in much,much higher numbers than with the 1D line offering two bodies!

I don't think there's any benefit to introducing a third line to Canon's pro system, tho I do think there's a problem with taking out the 1Ds line as well as the 1D. Studio shooters don't - generally - care about high fps, weather sealing etc etc - in a controlled environment these things aren't top of the list of considerations. I think there may be a variant of the 1Dx possibly with something like a 24mp full frame sensor but reduced fps to something like 8 or 9, tho the last time Canon tried this (1D mk II to mk IIN aside) with the original EOS1 it wasn't exactly a rip roaring success, and alienated a small but significant enough number or pros.

Time will tell whether Canon have made the right call, but ultimately reducing choice may strangely indeed get more punters to hand over their hard earned.

If this isn't going to be out until next spring then I think it's a safe bet that we won't see a 5D2 replacement for at least a year. Anyone on the fence should probably go ahead a pick a side.

What is EOS-ID X 14 fps sounds like?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am donating a couple of kids, a kidney and mortgaging my house. I might ALMOST get into it!
It's not meant to be a 3rd line in Canon's pro line, it's meant to combine the two 1D's into one.
Canon has been re-organizing everything with all of their releases within the last couple of years. I have a feeling this will result in a new 5D being a step between the 5D2 and the 1Dx. The 7D is the new 5D line and so on.

For those who do not yet understand that Canon is combining the 1Ds (studio) and the 1D (action/PJ/generalist pro) bodies into one SINGLE camera model:http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-11666-12012

"With this announcement, Canon is also officially discontinuing the EOS-1Ds Mark III (though this is largely a formality, as the company is likely to have stopped manufacturing this body eons ago). Going forward, the EOS-1D X will be the only 1-series camera the company makes, or at least it will be once it becomes a shipping product starting next year."

and also: "Canon is naming the body differently too. Rather than calling it the EOS-1D Mark V, thereby carrying on a practice that began when the EOS-1D Mark II came out in 2004, they've broken with that convention and called it simply EOS-1D X. The X, says Canon USA Technical Advisor Chuck Westfall, is meant to suggest three things about the new camera:
  • X for extreme (X-treme) performance
  • X for cross-over (X-over), since this represents the merging of Canon's two pro digital SLR cameras, the higher-resolution EOS-1Ds Mark III and higher-performance EOS-1D Mark IV, into a single next-generation model
  • The Roman numeral X, as in 10, because the EOS-1D X represents the 10th generation of pro-class SLR from Canon since the F-1 debuted in 1971"

I just happened by CanonRumors.com and they have a link to some high ISO images. SMALL size, but they are promising looking! HERE

Most reactions

New Topics

Back