Canon lens 75-300 USM - HELP!

twanny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going on safari & have an EOS Rebel 2000 & would like to get a better lens to take great photos but do not want to spend too much. What do people think about the 75-300mm USM lens? Will this get me nice photos of wildlife from a distance? Thanks

It is a capable lens although there are obviously better ones in the market. With lenses you get what you pay for...

One thing I would definitely be including in the bag though is a tripod. With this lens (and most longer zooms) the shake becomes really noticeable.

Welcome to the forum.

What you would consider too much?

It's probably one of the better lenses in it's class...which is cheap consumer level zoom lenses. The maximum aperture is not very big, so getting fast enough shutter speeds in lower lighting may be a challenge. This can be overcome with the use of a tripod or other form of support.

If you can spend more, there is a version with Image Stabilization (IS). This will help you get sharper images while hand holding the camera & lens. Although it won't help freeze the action of moving subjects.

You may have to use faster film (ISO 400 or 800) but that will mean more film grain will be seen.

A really good lens would be the 100-400 IS L....but it's quite expensive.

I went to Costa Rica last year and this is what I did for a super telephoto. I used my 100-300 Vivitar lens (not a great lens) and also used a Tamron 2X teleconverter. That essentially made the lens 200-600. Although, a teleconverter steals light (about 2 stops for a 2x)...the result was that autofocus did not work...so I had to manual focus when using this combination.

Thanks a lot for the prompt info. The fact is I got the camera 2yrs ago & barely ever used it plus I don't know much about photography which is why I don't want to spend too much.But since I'm going on safari I thought it would be great to try & get some nice shots!

I got a 90-300mm and love it, it works a treat when i need a small lens to carry nd the extra telezoom, It cost me £150 i believe and in comparison to my 70-200mm F4L that is cheap. Just depends what you want to spend.

I think I'll defend this lense a bit..cause it really isnt that awful..

Here's a few pictures taken with that lense on my Canon EOS 650 (35mm camera):

1st picture taken from maybe 100 feet away. Handheld, very quick picture that I don't even remember taking..
2nd picture turned out pretty good for some intense lighting. As long as it's nice and bright outside, zooming in on the subject and taking a picture isn't too bad for this lense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back