Canon or Nikon?

Candlesmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been researching DSLR's and I think I have finally narrowed it down to 4 cameras. For Canon-T3i and 60D and for Nikon-5100 and D90. I will be shooting mostly people and scenery(not sports). They all fall into my price range. Just like to hear pros/cons or recommendations from users. I will be looking to buy the kit with a 55mm-135mm lens. Looking to purchase within a week or so.

There are no pros or cons. At that level, they are all pretty much the same. Things to look for would be high ISO performance - that is pretty much the only difference you will see.

I shoot Canon because that's what felt best to me - I like where the buttons are, and how you manipulate the controls.

Just get a few in your hands and go with the one that feels the most natural.

Nikon makes the best cameras and lenses EVER!

I own Canon.

Nikon D90 or D7000. Better light metering, better flash metering, and better, more-advanced multiple flash control, plus more logical body control ergonomics. If there's one thing Canon has long been substandard at, it is consistent,accurate,dependable flash exposure metering...they just have had a bear of a time achieving the accuracy and consistency that Nikon has been able to. I've been shooting Nikon since 1982, and shooting a mixture of Canon and Nikon d-slr's since 2005. I currently have a couple Canon d-slr's and the 580 EX-II flash and $10,000 worth of Canon lenses, and a big collection of Nikon equipment. Canon has some strong points, it really does. But as far as body ergonomics, and flash and exposure metering, Nikon has the upper hand at the mid-level or upward, like the D90 level.

Yep without a doubt start with a D90 than the D5100 if nikon is your slant.
And yep as Derrel has pointed out the Nikon CLS flash system is superior to Canons.

For the Canon choices looks like 60D over the T31

But when I started it was choosing between the Canon and Nikon.
Came down to going to a store and trying them out. For me the Nikon felt better in the hand.
Button layout & menus seemed more logical and right for me. Others may experience the exact opposite.

But in your shoes it would be the Nikon D90 or Canon 60D as the only two logical choices.

D90 in my opinion. Ever since the D7000 came out a made the used prices of the D90 what they are now it has become the best bang for the buck body out there. Couple that with a Tamron 17-50 and a Nikon 80-200 and you have a very capable set up for not a lot of money.

Oh, Candlesmon, you had to go and start the whole "Canon or Nikon?" thing again?

If I were you i'd go Sony, all the pro's are doing it!

AMIGA RULZZZZ!!!!

I don't think anyone ever really gets that joke, but boy oh boy it makes me giggle every time I get to use it. :lol:

That it is, to an extent ungettable yet carries within it a certain, cultural resonance...makes it drôle as ****!

AMIGA RULZZZZ!!!!

I don't think anyone ever really gets that joke, but boy oh boy it makes me giggle every time I get to use it. :lol:

That it is, to an extent ungettable yet carries within it a certain, cultural resonance...makes it drôle as ****!
Since when do english people use "drôle"? That's a new one...I didn't even know it was a "well known french word" LOL

Yeah, I know that there is a long friendly fued between Canon and Nikon. I stopped by Best Buy again today. Did the handle test w/ the T3i, 60D and the D90. I did like the feel of the 60D and D90. They all felt good. Unfortunaltely the batteries in the 60D and D90 were dead. Good job Best Buy. I like the swivel screen on the Canons. The features are pretty much equal at this price level. I believe I also read the D90 is no longer being made and is just selling the remaining inventory. I still have not had a chance to see the 5100. I believe it competes with the T3i. I am one step closer to putting this project to bed. Thanks for all the good info. Oh, I did see how Sony got Camera of the Year for 2010. They bought Konica Minolta. My first 35mm was a Minolta.

Most reactions

Back