canon t5i vs nikon d5200

farhanorakzai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have the opportunity to trade in my t5i and $50 for a d5200. i would also have to buy a battery for the d5200. is it worth the cost?

If you go to compare sites the Nikon usually gets higher marks because of its sensor, so in theory it takes better photos, but that's not always as cut and dry as it seems.

The touchscreen on the t5i can help get shots you might not normally get with the d5200. Also you will have to learn the nikon all over again, button positions etc. It can often be that the set up or what you are used to gives the better photos.

I have a d7200 and an olympus EM5. In theory the d7200 has much better quality images, but very often I can get better shots of people on the fly because of its touchscreen. Also on close ups of babies ect i can touch the screen exactly where I want focus and this gives me a bigger keeper rate.

If the t5i lacks for you fair enough, the nikon might suit better. If not I'd just keep it

Compare the Canon Rebel T5i vs the Nikon D5200

If you go to compare sites the Nikon usually gets higher marks because of its sensor, so in theory it takes better photos, but that's not always as cut and dry as it seems.

The touchscreen on the t5i can help get shots you might not normally get with the d5200. Also you will have to learn the nikon all over again, button positions etc. It can often be that the set up or what you are used to gives the better photos.

I have a d7200 and an olympus EM5. In theory the d7200 has much better quality images, but very often I can get better shots of people on the fly because of its touchscreen. Also on close ups of babies ect i can touch the screen exactly where I want focus and this gives me a bigger keeper rate.

If the t5i lacks for you fair enough, the nikon might suit better. If not I'd just keep it

i just got the t5i and have never used a dslr before. should i keep it or get the d5200?

i just got the t5i and have never used a dslr before. should i keep it or get the d5200?

If you just got it, and you've never used a DSLR before, I highly doubt you're going to notice a difference between the two. Just play around with it for a while and get to know it's shooting functions. Get out and press the shutter button and don't analyze your decision.
Once you choose a system (Canon or Nikon) just stick with it for a while until you actually understand each camera's restriction for your type of shooting. That'll help you better choose an upgrade system from what you have now.

I am a Nikon guy and would love to say the D5200 will walk all over the t5i but I dont think you will actually see a huge improvement.
The D5200 has a better AF system and low light performance but not in a huge difference.
The t5i is a fairly good camera, learn how to use a DSLR and in the future when you are ready to upgrade I am sure we will be able to share our thoughts on what ever models you will consider.

Good luck

Trade in the T5i thats selling at a higher retail value then the D5200 and have to shell out 50 bucks more and then buy a battery on top of that,umm what do you think.

Most reactions

Back