Canon's custom function

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I almost never use the custom functions on my Canon. I was wondering if you guys can tell me is this a useful & convenient feature to master & I am missing out the goodies for all these time.
Thanks.

Can you be more specific? Like which camera you are using.

There are some Custom Functions that I always have set differently than the default and there are some that I change on a semi-regular basis.

yea, one in particular i changed was the AEB order. i think the default was 0, -1, +1 and i changed it to -1, 0, +1 since thats more logical to me.

i believe mirror lockup is also a custom function, and one that should be used if you're using a tripod doing macro photography or the like where camera shake could ruin an image.

if you could be specific on which custom function/functions you are referring to, we'd be able to help a lot more. :)

Can you be more specific? Like which camera you are using.

There are some Custom Functions that I always have set differently than the default and there are some that I change on a semi-regular basis.

10D & 5D M2.

Could you also give an example when it is really useful to have these custom features.

Thanks.

yea, one in particular i changed was the AEB order. i think the default was 0, -1, +1 and i changed it to -1, 0, +1 since thats more logical to me.

i believe mirror lockup is also a custom function, and one that should be used if you're using a tripod doing macro photography or the like where camera shake could ruin an image.

if you could be specific on which custom function/functions you are referring to, we'd be able to help a lot more. :)

See, I never really use it to notice its importance. I tried it once actually under my friend's supervision (setting 1st & 2nd curtain sync, maybe, can't quite remember), I was pretty intimidated by it. Thanks, Chammer.

You have a 5D MkII and you're not using the custom functions? Oh yeah, you're missing out. Big time. Go read the manual and familiarize yourself with what they all do.

I mess with custom functions pretty regularly, and some are assigned as part of the main menus (the 450D has a nifty "My Menu" thingy, and I've put some custom functions that I change often in there). It lets me finagle every last iota of photographic mojo out of my camera, so to speak.

You have a 5D MkII and you're not using the custom functions? Oh yeah, you're missing out. Big time. Go read the manual and familiarize yourself with what they all do.

I mess with custom functions pretty regularly, and some are assigned as part of the main menus (the 450D has a nifty "My Menu" thingy, and I've put some custom functions that I change often in there). It lets me finagle every last iota of photographic mojo out of my camera, so to speak.

Great, now I really feel & look like an idiot. My lame excuse is I only bought it recently (9 months, maybe) & I don't use it very often due to other commitment, i.e. full time job & a new baby. :er:

Still, why it is more superior than manual, Av & Tv? Damn my photographer friend, he left out all the important details. ;)

:lol: I was saying that in jest. Sorta.

Those custom functions include wonderful features like highlight tone priority, mirror lock-up, high ISO noise reduction, how Live View AF works, and more—I'd wager a lot more on a 5D.

First custom function I change on my Canons is to move the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button on the back.

I will mess with the other custom functions but changing the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button is a must.

First custom function I change on my Canons is to move the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button on the back.

I will mess with the other custom functions but changing the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button is a must.
I'm racking my brain and I can't figure out why you move AF Start. Would you please explain?

So that you can focus and set exposure separately. I find this most useful in fast changing lighting situations, where the subject is relatively still. I can focus, fire some frames, fire some more, but the camera isn't always refocusing each time I half-depress the shutter. And it gives a whole lot more control when you're shooting in AF Servo mode.

I'm racking my brain and I can't figure out why you move AF Start. Would you please explain?
I have to blame POTN and this thread for first making me aware of the possibility of moving the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button. But it wasn't until I met up with some local Canon shooters who actually was shooting this way that I actually tried it. At first it was very awkward and I thought I would never get used to it...but now I can't use a camera if the AF Start is still on the shutter button. My thumb just goes straight to the * button when I'm ready to shoot, I'm not even aware that it's doing it.

Last edited:
I have to blame POTN and this thread for first making aware of the possibility of moving the AF Start from the shutter button to the * button. But it wasn't until I met up with some local Canon shooters who actually was shooting this way that I actually tried it. At first it was very awkward and I thought I would never get used to it...but now I can't use a camera if the AF Start is still on the shutter button. My thumb just goes straight to the * button when I'm ready to shoot, I'm not even aware that it's doing it.

Yep.

Unfortunately every time I've gotten my 5D MKII back from Canon they've reset the camera to the factory settings and I have to go through and set everything to the way I had it.

I went home & read my manual again, I think I finally got it or maybe not. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a couple basic questions to make sure I am not heading to a wrong directions.

Q1. When I manually changed the options in CnFn to my preffered setting, these functions will be active in manual, Tv, Av, etc unless I select P or auto mode, it is true?
Q2. If the answer for q1 is right, then do I have to disable & enable the mirror loockup when I am shooting sport vs still portrait or when I am using long telephoto lens vs my regualr zoom lens?
Q3. I still cannot find the custom fn that switch AF start to * button. I think is IV.

Thanks for letting me know the importance of Cn Functions. Still pretty confused, O well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back