Can't keep sky from blowing out...

512_SIR II

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot yesterday while I was a local spot here in Austin (360 bridge). For some reason I couldn't keep the sky from blowing out. I took the shot around 4:30pm so the sun was still pretty harsh and was at about my 2 o clock position. I had the camera set to Av mode and the settings were as follows. Shutter speed 1/100, Aperture F11, ISO 100, and evaluative metering. Any suggestions? Thanks

...I guess I should of mention this in the op. I'm using the 18-55 kit lens.
I've thought about using a gradient filter or a polarizer but the end of my lens rotates when it focuses so those filters are kinda useless.

...I guess I should of mention this in the op. I'm using the 18-55 kit lens.
I've thought about using a gradient filter or a polarizer but the end of my lens rotates when it focuses so those filters are kinda useless.

Useless? How so? most Circular Polarizing filters attach to the lens... Focusing should not affect it...

the part it screws onto is the focus ring. so every time it goes to focus the end of the lens rotates and if there is a filter attached then the filter will rotate too.

a simple way you can get by without a graduated filter is to take 2 shots - the first exposure is metered to get the sky (ie sky properly exposed and ground dark), then the second shot is metered to the foreground(bright blown sky, foreground properly exposed). Then use photoshop layer masks to blend the 2 images together..then you have a perfect sky and a well exposed foreground.

Compose the shot (zoom/focus) and then adjust the filter to suit.
Good idea. I never thought about that
a simple way you can get by without a graduated filter is to take 2 shots - the first exposure is metered to get the sky (ie sky properly exposed and ground dark), then the second shot is metered to the foreground(bright blown sky, foreground properly exposed). Then use photoshop layer masks to blend the 2 images together..then you have a perfect sky and a well exposed foreground.

So try like an hdr sorta thing? I don't have photoshop or lightroom or any of that. So my editing is very minimal. Thats why i'd like to learn how to shoot it right on the spot and not have to worry about major editing.

So try like an hdr sorta thing? I don't have photoshop or lightroom or any of that. So my editing is very minimal. Thats why i'd like to learn how to shoot it right on the spot and not have to worry about major editing.

no not like HDR. Hardly major editing but good luck with it anyway

Unfortunately, in certain situations you can only expose for the sky or the background and will have to compromise somewhere. The dynamic range is just to great for the sensor to capture which is why people are suggesting fusing two shots or yes, even HDR. The easiest way is to get a square gradient filter and just hold it in front of the lens when taking the shot.

Take your reading from the sky and shoot your shot. I added a little fill in post to get the building to be exposed correctly.
5381185641_6746e5dd9a.jpg

...yea i need a better lens for the whole filter thing. I'll try whats been suggested and hope I can figure it out. Should I be using a specfic type of metering?

I've driven over that bridge many times! I live in North Austin. Crazy. Do you know of any good spots downtown to get a good night shot of the skyline?

I live in round rock too man, thats cool. I actually don't. I've seen some nice shots that were taken on top of parking garages but i'm not sure which specific ones.

Most reactions

Back