CF card readers

uplander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have always downloaded my pics from both my 10D and 40D by USB cable from camera. I think I would like to just start using a card reader to do this. So I am solicititing recomendations for a card reader. I am a PC userboth XP and Vista.

Actually a little pro and con debate to educate me would be usefull;)

I went to staples and spent 30$ on a sony reader. it can do sd cards, compact (type l and ll) and those little sony duo cards. it works fine.

Unlike you, I STILL use a USB cable to download my pictures, but I was looking at a CF card reader at one point. I ended up looking at the SanDisk Extreme Reader. I think it comes in Firewire version too, if you have one.

I didn't buy it, mostly because I forgot the last time I was near a computer store: Security stopped me for committing the unspeakable crime of carrying a backpack. :)

I have some old sandisk one. Works fine. Nice since it doesnt drain camera battery.

I used to use the USB cable to the camera, but after picking up a multi-card reader, I find it much easier. Any card reader will do. I don't think any brand is going to be much different than any other. Do get a USB 2.0 if your computer supports it, this does make a BIG difference.

I just recently switched to the Sandisk Extreme Firewire CF Card Reader on my PC.
I got tired of the slow speeds from USB, I added the Firewire card on the PC for about $20 plus the cost of the reader and I could not be happier. I use mostly 2 and 4 gig cards and running Vista and a 4 Gig card use to take just about an hour to download with the fire wire reader it takes around 5 min.

Card readers are cheap nowadays - anywhere from $9-$39 ... I see this @ Frys, Best Buy, Circuit City, Longs Drugs etc ... You can also find them on newegg.com, and I bet Adorama and B&H also have them.

With exception of "name brand" (Sandisk, Lexar), they are pretty much the same.

I like the ones that do not require you to install a device driver - these things should be "plug and play", do not understand why it even needs a driver. I will the cheapest one - $19.99, I-Connect ... generic brand.

I have been using an INOi Photo Hardisk for about 3 or 4 years now. It is about the size of an ipod and has a 20GB hard drive. It works great. Once a card fills while I am out shooting all day I load it into the card reader and upload from there when I get home.

I use the card reader built into the side of my monitor, or else I have a little USB 2.0 hispeed reader that works fine. When building new PCs for friends or family, I usually recommend installing a card reader built into the 3½" floppy drive bay.

The USB port is the first point of failure on most of them. I used a cheap reader for ages then I wanted to clean my desk. I now use a cheap $20 internal 3.5" reader that sits where my floppy drive used to. No more cable fuss.

I use mostly 2 and 4 gig cards and running Vista and a 4 Gig card use to take just about an hour to download with the fire wire reader it takes around 5 min.

I have no doubt that Firewire is faster than USB... but wow, you were not at USB 2.0 speeds. I have an 8GB card and using a standard USB 2.0 interface, on a totally filled card, it doesn't take me more than 14 minutes to transfer via USB 2.0 interface external card reader. 4 GIG at about 7 min... compared to your 5 min, that sounds about right.

Along the same topic, I would never connect my camera to my computer. It has happened many times that a power surge from the USB port fried the camera's electronics. I would prefer it take out the card instead of the camera, so $35 is cheap insurance. It doesn't happen often, but it only takes once.

I decided never to take that chance.

Another nice thing about a card reader is that theres less danger of your camera getting tugged off your desk and breaking as it hits the floor. I know that with 2 sisters and 4 cats this is and all to real issue that i like to solve with a card reader

I`ve never heard of such a thing as a card reader. What are you talking about? Old school here. (old granny)

But i have almost pulled my canon 40d off of my desk a few times and gotten tangled up in the long wire. Are you guys telling me that there is some new way of down loading pictures from my camera without plugging it in directly to the computer?.. well i do it to my flat screen monitor, and i almost pulled that thing off my desk too. well not pulled it off, but i`ve spun it around, its on a turn base... I have 3 cats and a great dane and things can get pretty exciting around my desk, you know how pets can be. I`ll tell you this place is full of info, if i didn`t come here and read i wouldn`t know anything. I`m astounded about this news. I have to go and re-read the above posts to get what this is about. I`m still in the dark about this.

Its basicly just what it sounds like. You just plug in your CF card (or other kind) and then plug into comp and your good to go. Can be had for pretty cheap. Sounds like it would fit your life pretty nicely, haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back