Child from the Dark Side

MommyOf4Boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was at my 6 year old's t-ball game and I was taking photos. This little boy came and stood directly in front of my camera and would not move! I finally said "Do you want me to take your picture" (mind you, this is the face he had the entire time he was in front of me) He nodded his head yes, still not changing his expression. I said "Smile for me" He said, again without changing his expression and barely moving his mouth "I am". I got home and was editing photos and came to this one and thought, wow-this kid kind of scared me! LOL!! Needless to say, adding the grunge look was the way to go! He is definately the spawn of a darksider I think!! LMAO!!

creepykid.jpg

I won't be able to sleep tonight. Those eyes....

Mommy, that is a fantastic photo. The expression, the detail, the processing, the DOF, the framing, all perfect. Very very well done :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

woha.... freaky!..... good capture mommy... looks like he didnt give you much choice tho :lol:

Haha! What an evil little kid! If that's his "smile," I would hate to see his angry face!

Mohain said:
Mommy, that is a fantastic photo. The expression, the detail, the processing, the DOF, the framing, all perfect. Very very well done :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

^^^ I agree. What a great shot! And what a great story behind it. :lol:

Whoa....love it. A child ready to make a horror movie. Love the expression.
NIce one Mommy.

hey mommy... just out of interest, i know you use the same camera as me, D50 right?.... was wondering which lens/setup you used for this one?

Archangel said:
hey mommy... just out of interest, i know you use the same camera as me, D50 right?.... was wondering which lens/setup you used for this one?
Arch,
I used my beloved 50mm 1.8 lens. I set my camera to aperture priority that day with aperture set at about 2.2. I then took the photo into photoshop and cropped it closer to his face and did a sort of grunge effect to the photo.
For the grunge effect I:
Made a duplicate layer of the photo, then on the duplicated layer i opened up levels and brought the brightness way up, just before it started to blow out the features in his face. I then (with the duplicate layer still selected) went to the channels for that layer and clicked on the blue channel and duplicated that. I opened levels back up again and slid the dark channel over to darken his features enough to where you could still see most of his features, but yet give it that dark grungy feel. I went back to the layers and with the duplicate layer selected, I went up to Image-Apply Layer-and in the drop down menu that says RGB, i changed it and selected "blue copy" below that drop down menu is another one and I selected "multiply".
There are a few more steps that can be used, but for this photo I stopped there, because it looked good that way. Then I did a layer mask on the duplicate layer and brought his eyes back, then with the burn tool, i darkened them up a bit, because they were too bright for the photo. Whala, evil spawn of satan was born! LOL

Hey thanks for the explination mommy you sure used a good ps technique ;) .... i thought it may have been a 50mm so thanks for that, you did very well with the processing here, great job :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back