Choosing a tripod, help.

avilamillar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would put serious consideration into the type of head you get.. it could make or break your enjoyment of the tripod... and good family friend told me to get the ball head and I just ok and went and bought it... and I have to say that it was the right move.... when adjusting where the camera is pointing you only have to worry about one adjustment.. the only down fall is that it is useless for Video

Tripods can be a really personal decision. I'd suggest finding a good camera store and getting your hands on some different tripods and heads. And don't be afraid to stretch your budget if you can handle it. A good tripod & head can last you a lifetime, so it's a good investment.

You want to be sure your tripod and head is weight rated for at least twice the maximum weight you will put on it.

You will find moree information on specifications by visiting the tripod makes web site instead of Amazon.com.

You may want to look at some other brands like Giottos, Slik and Benro.

Many photographers buy an inexpensive tripod:
  • discover it is not stable enough or lacks a desireable feature
  • buy a second, more expensive tripod that approaches what they really need
  • have then spent enough money to have originally gotten the next step up from tripod #2
  • and been totally satisfied with their tripod for the next 30 years.

Ok, so what do you think about one of this two:

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 190XPROB - PRO ALU TRIPOD BLK, W/O HEAD

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports, professional tripod 055XPROB - PRO TRIPOD BLACK

And a ball head, in manfrotto.com they recommend the 486RC2

What do you think?

And i live in a little town in Minnesota and we dont have any camera store :(

KmH i understand what you say, now i have a Targus (20 dlls) tripod...

Dao Thanks for the page ;)

OH also i have just bought my camera like 10 days ago and i dont know what to buy first:

Lens (70-300mm)
Backpack( slignshot 100AW or 200 AW, not sure yet)
Tripod (not sure yet)

What should i buy first?

Thanks

I'm thinking about getting the 190XB with the 486RC2 head. It's $205 shipped on B&H plus there's the $25 rebate. I think the ball head would be much nicer in my case.

Here are some general rules for buying a tripod.
1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable. This will save a lot of back ache.

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range and style you choose. Head preference is a whole nother discussion.

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

a. Whether you will be carrying it long distances or not. Carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.

b. What conditions you will be using it in. For general use or studio use Aluminum works just fine. In harsher conditions Carbon fiber is a better choice since the carbon fiber will not corode as aluminum will if it is imersed in salt water or water with a lot of minerals. (depending on the minerals) If constantly in very wet conditions a good hard wood tripod is the best. Most people do not use them much as they are heavy, and expensive but they are the most stable choice in a tripod and work well in very damp climates.

5. Pick one with leg locks and control locks that you like and feel comfortable with. Manfrotto lever locks are conienient, however Gitzo's no twist legs are very rapid to set up with their twist locks.

6. Pick a price range you can live with. Good tripods will cost a bit of money, but a good tripod, taken care of can last a lifetime. If you buy cheap you will be replacing it and in the long run spend more then you would have if you bought wisely the first time.

1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable. This will save a lot of back ache.

Ok so i think ill get the 055XPROB because is taller than the 190XPROB

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range and style you choose. Head preference is a whole nother discussion.

Im thinking in a 488RC2

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

The max load capacity of the 055XPROB is 11 pounds so for my D60 and 18-55mm or 55mm micro nikkor i think is perfect.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

i wont use it in the water and the carbon fiber are too expensive so im going for the aluminium :)

Thanks you! :)

I originally went into my photo store to buy the 190XB and 488RC2 head. It is great and I almost bought it. Instead I ended up walking out of the store with a SLIK 340 BH. The legs were better on the Manfrotto, but the Head was better on the SLIK. The ball head has two levels on it which makes it very easy to get the camera level, which can be important depending on the shot. It also folds down a little bit smaller. It was on sale and about $10 less than the 190xb/488rc2 combo. (about 150 total).

I am not a professional, just a hobbiest, and am learning every day.

Depending on what you want to do I would also consider this tripod as I am very happy with my choice. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Just my 2 cents.

-Andy

Last edited:
Yeah, thats what i really want to to... go to a camera store and try a few tripods to see wich one i like better but we dont have one in my town hehe.
But thanks for the recommendation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back