Choosing a video camera for film studies

GodFather

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm studying Film and Television and I want to buy a video camera for that purpose. I've found myself widely overwhelmed and lost by all the different technical details and parameters.
Basically, the things that are important to me the most are:

1. Budget - around 1,000 USD
2. Image quality.
3. Night shoots not looking all noisy and ugly.
3. Manual control over stuff like focus, shutter, white balance etc.

My indecision comes mainly because I can't figure out what's better for me - DSLR or camcorder. I've heard that the video quality in DSLR are better than camcorders (of course if we're comparing cameras at about the same price range), while others not agree and there are some obvious advantages in camcorders.

I'd appreciate your help. It's almost the end of the semester and I have three more short films to shoot! :)

Thanks!

Hi GodFather - welcome to the forum! You're right, there are lots of choices out there - and lots of people with strong preferences for camcorders vs DSLRs. I own both, and use them for different purposes. For artistic expression (shallow depth of field, different lens choices for different "looks"), I prefer a large sensor, interchangeable lens camera. For recording events, with smooth power zoom and rock solid autofocus, I prefer the small sensor, fixed lens camcorder.

DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, DSLTs (Sony Translucent) or DSLMs (Panasonic Mirrorless) have large sensors and interchangeable lenses. Video quality from these cameras is not "better" than from a small sensor camcorder - it's different. These cameras all provide you with control over depth of field and lens selection that you don't get from $1000 camcorders.

That said, $1000 camcorders have several advantages over DSLRs - e.g., unlimited video clip length, viewfinders and autofocus functions that continue to work in video mode, power zooms and headphone jacks.

At this price point, there are two cameras that provide the best of both worlds. I have shot with both of these cameras and can recommend them for student and professional filmmaking without reservation. The Panasonic GH2 DSLM camera has the large sensor, shallow depth of field, and interchangeable lenses of a DSLR - and the unlimited clip length, video viewfinder and video autofocus of a camcorder (but no headphone jack). Go to Videos in "Panasonic GH2" on Vimeo for examples of what this camera can do.

You can get a like new, open box GH2 with the amazing 14-140 10x zoom lens (with absolutely silent autofocus) for $890 from Samy's on eBay. This camera will not last at this price.

The Sony NEX VG-series camcorders have the unlimited clip length, video viewfinder, video autofocus and headphone jack of a camcorder - with the large sensor, depth of field control and interchangeable lenses of a DSLR. Go to Videos in "Sony NEX-VG10/20/30 User Group" on Vimeo and http://vimeo.com/groups/nexvg20/videos for examples of what these cameras can do.

You can get an NEX-VG20 (body only) for $1088 from Samy's on Amazon (as of this post, there are only 8 left at this price). You will also need lenses. I suggest used Sigma 19mm ($159) and 30mm ($155) prime lenses from Amazon Warehouse Deals to get started. These are fully compatible NEX mount lenses with autofocus and autoiris.

I hope this was helpful - good luck with film school and Happy New Year!

Bill

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Personally, I like the canon. So if you need shoot video, you can consider the canon T4i, it is Canon’s only model that offers the capacity for autofocus even while in video mode. Look the specs here

Most reactions

Back