Circular Polarizing Filter

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a good filter and I found a couple, I was just wondering if there are any major differences between these two, besides the price tag. It will be going on my new Canon Eos XS. It seems one is a circular polarizing and one is just polarizing. What's the difference?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HOYA-58CIR-Circular-Polarized-Filter/dp/B00006HOAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284398625&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: HOYA 58CIR 58mm Circular Polarized Filter: Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-58POL-58mm-Polarized-Filter/dp/B000L9MGNE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284398625&sr=8-8]Amazon.com: Hoya 58POL 58mm Polarized Filter: Electronics[/ame]

or could I just get this?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-58mm-Introductory-Filter-Kit/dp/B000W3MPTO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284398625&sr=8-4[/ame]

Thanks!

You will want a circular polarizer lens. The other type (linear) of polarizing lens will mess with the auto focus of your camera.

You will want a circular polarizer lens. The other type (linear) of polarizing lens will mess with the auto focus of your camera.

Good to know!

Thanks for the quick reply. So I should spend the extra $$ and go with the Hoya as opposed to others?

I would suggest none of those. Hoya and Tiffen are good, consumer-grade filters, but ensure that you the multi-coated verson; this is important to reduce flare, CA, and other undesirable elements. Since none of those expresly say 'multi-coated' I will assume that they're not.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Polarizing-Multi-Coated-Digital-Filter/dp/B0009K9PZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284399597&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: 52mm Circular Polarizing Multi-Coated Glass Pro 1 Digital Filter: Electronics[/ame]

Like that?

That's the one! :thumbup:

Now I'm not doubting you, but what really is the difference between that and a non multi coated one? I'm not a professional photog by any means, will I notice the difference to the tune of an extra $50?

Thanks.

The difference with multi-coated is they are more resistant to flare. Some folks may never have to worry about that (if you never shoot toward the sun) and always have your lens hood (which I suggest doing anyway).

I shoot toward the sun, so I wanted the multi-coated. Even if the sun is off to the side you may or may not run into an issue.

Some info: MultiCoated Filters why they are worth the cost

Hoya multi-coated are good filters. They are harder to clean than a B+W multi-coated (perosnal experience and from reading others comments on various forums). Although, the Hoya's are cheper than the B+W brand.

If you can swing the extra cash, definitely go multi-coated, and B+W if you can swing it a little further.

I got a $20 one from adorama for my XS. It seems to work (for now) as I'm just learning when/where to use it anyway.

Yes...I have a non-multi-coated Hoya Cir Pol, no hood and I shoot into the sun...I facetiously wonder where the glare comes from....but I like the glare...so there...is that fair...or rare...maybe its my artistic flair...okay I'll stop now...

A few trips to the sperm bank and you should be able to get a B&W MRC Kaesemann Filter and call it a day. Just a thought, if you plan on upgrading your lenses you may want to get the filter that is appropriate for those lenses and then get a step up adapter rather than have to buy the same filter twice when you move up (most L zooms are 77mm for example, vs the common 58mm of the efs lenses).

I always find it more difficult to adjust the poliarizing filter when I have the lens hood on. Get the multi-coated filter- you'll be better off in general.

Look at it this way... you just spent how much on that lens? Why would you filter the image through a cheap piece of glass or plastic when you have that great lens on your camera?

Non-multicoated does not always mean cheap glass. Which ever kind you choose, just make sure it has quality glass. Thats why I got the b+w and it works extremely well on my L glass.

Most reactions

Back