Cleaning the inside of a SLR camera?

charlie88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just received a Nikon D80 for my birthday and I was wondering. If there is anything I can do to clean the lens that lies inside the camera. I would be to scared to touch the inside, is there a places where they clean it?

Most camera repair places will do a clean and check and it usually doesn't cost very much.

So this is a brand new camera? Does it really need cleaning then? What exactly do you mean by "the lens that lies inside the camera"? The mirror, the sensor, the viewfinder?

The best thing to do...is probably not to clean it.

With a DSLR camera...you may need to clean the sensor, from time to time. But if you take reasonable care of your gear...you shouldn't need to clean it very often. Do a search for 'sensor cleaning'...and you should find plenty of things to read.

You really shouldn't have a need to clean the "inside" of a new camera especially.

As long as you take care when changing lenses ie: I typically turn the camera upside down (body faced down) and attach body to lens..does that make sense? Basically keep the body out of way from debris that could fly into mirror, sensor etc

I stupidly years ago was shooting at the beach and instead of changing my lense inside my car , did it as a big gust of wind blew against me. It ended up with all kinds of sand inside it.

I took it to the camera shop and they were wonderful about fixing my stupidity (they happily charged me quite a bit too) .

It did make perfect sense, I've never thought of it that way. I've only had it for two weeks, I have been trying to figure out ways to make myself do it quicker. But your way seems much easier and safe. I'm not having problems with my camera right now, but I'm trying to understand its in and outs. It's better safe than sorry.

I know what you mean...you have a nice new camera and you want to take care of it. Sometimes it's hard to keep your hands off of it.

I've had a DSLR for two years...and I've only had to blow off the sensor twice...and I've never had to actually wipe the sensor clean. As mentioned, just take care when changing the lens. Keep out of the wind, keep the camera pointed down and turn off the camera when changing the lens. I've heard that if you leave the power on...the sensor may attract dust.

It's hard to keep my hands off it, everywhere I go I want to take. Just for that one perfect moment that perfect shot. I feel I've been over obsessing with the way I treat it. Thank you so much for your help, everyone... :)

charlie88 said:
It's hard to keep my hands off it, everywhere I go I want to take. Just for that one perfect moment that perfect shot. I feel I've been over obsessing with the way I treat it. Thank you so much for your help, everyone... :)

You wouldn't be here if you didn't feel that way:wink:

And who said "obsessing" is all to entirely a bad thing?!

When the time for a sensor cleaning does come.I hear there are some pretty nifty electrostatic cleaning brushes. But for what it's worth, it's probably better left to the pros.

Johno said:
When the time for a sensor cleaning does come.I hear there are some pretty nifty electrostatic cleaning brushes. But for what it's worth, it's probably better left to the pros.

those brushes cost you a hundred bucks! A total ripoff by this canadian company! ;)

but i tried to construct such a brush by myself and actually managed to implant a lot of extra dust into my camera ;) ... took me 30 minutes with the speckgrabber then to remove it from the sensor ;)

There are two or three basic methods to cleaning the sensor...as I see it anyway.

The first is to just blow the dust off. Don't use your breath and don't use compressed air (air in a can). Just use one of those bulb blowers (rocket blowers are the good/cool ones). Hold the front of the camera down...so the dust doesn't settle onto the sensor.

The second is to use one of those dust brushed...Butterfly something or other. It uses static to pick up the dust. Supposed to work great...but they are expensive.

The third, method...is for dust & dirt that won't come off. You can buy kits that come with cleaning pads/swabs and cleaning fluid. Use put the fluid onto the swab and make a pass over the sensor. Turn it over...and make another pass. That's it.

I don't know what it costs to 'have it cleaned'...but I wouldn't pay more than $20 to have it done...and only if it's someone who knows what they are doing...not just some sales associate at the local camera store. The sensor on most cameras...is actually pretty well protected. You are only cleaning the filter over the sensor. You are much more likely to damage the mirror or the shutter...so with a little care...it should be easy to do yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back