Cleaning the inside of a SLR camera?

method four.. the speckgrabber.. my favourite....

blowing dust off does help nothing usually ... you just redistribute it and it settles down on the sensor again eventually ...

If your going to have a DSLR you should know basic maintenance, including cleaning the sensor. You might be surprised how much dust can be on a new sensor. Shoot the blue sky at f/22, bring it into Photoshop and do an auto levels, that will show you the dust very clearly. When it's time to clean the sensor go to www.copperhillimages.com. They have a kit that works great and is only $30. They also have a good description of what is involved in cleaning the sensor. It's not a big deal, no reason to be afraid.

Alex_B said:
blowing dust off does help nothing usually ... you just redistribute it and it settles down on the sensor again eventually ...

That's why I suggested turning the camera so that the front is pointed down, toward the floor. So when you blow the dust...hopefully it floats out. There is, of course, the possibility that you will redistribute all the dust in the camera...but so far, this is the only cleaning that I've had to do.

Dunno if the D80 is the same but the D50 has a very delicate "low-pass filter" over the sensor - you have to be really careful not to damage it. I am going to take mine to a shop when the sensor needs cleaning because I am a chicken and if they bust it they can pay! lol

I've never heard that the low pass filter is delicate. It's just a piece of glass or plastic.

Most reactions

Back