Cleaning the lens with spectacle wipes

They work, but if you use them your lenses will be asking to "borrow" money all the time...

Can dslr lenses be cleaned with those disposable tissue papers used for glasses? Does it harm the special coating on the lenses? The wipes are coated in a alcoholic substance..
They're soaked in alcohol (as in, isopropyl). You make it sound like they're soaked in Bloody Mary's or something, lol.

I don't understand the borrow part. But that's just the type of person i am, compulsive and obsessive about everything i do. Plus if i used those papers to clean my expensive lenses, i want to be sure they aren't going to damage these lenses, because i'd like to keep using them for many years.

They work, but if you use them your lenses will be asking to "borrow" money all the time...

Can dslr lenses be cleaned with those disposable tissue papers used for glasses? Does it harm the special coating on the lenses? The wipes are coated in a alcoholic substance..
They're soaked in alcohol (as in, isopropyl). You make it sound like they're soaked in Bloody Mary's or something, lol.

I don't understand the borrow part. But that's just the type of person i am, compulsive and obsessive about everything i do. Plus if i used those papers to clean my expensive lenses, i want to be sure they aren't going to damage these lenses, because i'd like to keep using them for many years.
Start feeding "your lenses" alcohol, and pretty soon they'll expect it every payday.

"Borrow", in quotes means that you are not likely to see that money again. Like when family "borrows" money, you don't expect it to be paid back.

RE: Alcohol soaked lens wipes ... they work, to get the big stuff off, but they always leave streaks. I've not found any that don't, anyway...

I thought you really weren't supposed to use alcohol on lenses.

Why has no one Googled for manufacturer recommendations on cleaning a lens? Or did I miss that somewhere in this thread?

From my google search:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539

So, Nikon has two drops on a lint free cloth (not on to the lens) and that's only after using a blower first, then a brush, then starting at the center working your way out from the center in a clockwise fashion. I guess since I'm in maintenance I'm using to looking up manufacturer way of cleaning/ fixing things.

1 thing i've found with my eyeglasses,that i've worn for 40+yrs,is it does no good to rub hard.that just scratches the coating.If you can rinse/blow the dust off,seems to work best.I just run my glasses under warm water,and wipe them with my shirt.I suspect the same theory would apply to lenses.Remove the particles and there is nothing to scratch the lens if you wipe it.

Why has no one Googled for manufacturer recommendations on cleaning a lens? Or did I miss that somewhere in this thread?

From my google search:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539

So, Nikon has two drops on a lint free cloth (not on to the lens) and that's only after using a blower first, then a brush, then starting at the center working your way out from the center in a clockwise fashion. I guess since I'm in maintenance I'm using to looking up manufacturer way of cleaning/ fixing things.

...have to agree its better to not second guess the manufacturer.

RE: Alcohol soaked lens wipes ... they work, to get the big stuff off, but they always leave streaks. I've not found any that don't, anyway...

Zeisswipes.jpg

Start feeding "your lenses" alcohol, and pretty soon they'll expect it every payday.

But don't feed them after midnight!!! Or throw water on them!!

...starting to see a pattern here,from guys i trust........... "ZEISS"

I blow off the dust so I don't rub it into the lens. I use my mouth to blow because my brush is somewhere in the camera case, but I'm not sure where. Then I'll use a clean handkerchief as a brush if there's still dust. Then I breathe on the lens and wipe with the same clean handkerchief in soft easy circular motions.

One thing. The back of the lens has more effect on the image then does the front of the lens if its dirty. The way optics work, dirt on the front gets lost in the dispersion but not the same on the back because it right next to the sensor or film. So if you're switching lenses, don't stick your thumb on the back element and check to see what dirt might be there from time to time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back