Cleaning your sensor (AA filter) ... easy as pie!

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I'd post this as someone will probably find it useful (I would have found it useful if I had this information before performing the cleaning).

Tools Required...
Eclipse or Eclipse E2 cleaning fluid
Eclipse is for most older DSLRs. E2 is required to tin-oxide coated AA filters like the one on the D40.

Sensor Swabs
Pick the right size (type) for your DSLR and it's an exact fit.
Both are products from Photographic Solutions. I actually bought the "survival kit", which includes a handy carrying case and some pec-pads, although I have yet to use the latter.

As long as you follow the instructions to the letter, you really can't go wrong.

Here are the results:

Dramatic improvement after one cleaning. The additional cleanings got a few more around the edges and the dust is not completely gone, but despite that, I'm very happy with the results :)

Last edited:
I was scared to death to "touch" the sensor in my 5D because of all the WARNINGS on the web. But when I bought the kit, the guy at the camera store offered to do the first cleaning for me. I've done it a couple of times since then, no problem.

not to try and scare you but what do you think caused the flaring in the middle that gets a bit worse after each cleaning?

^ I took the first picture down on a sheet of paper and rest facing up towards a light.

I just took another pictures of today's overcast sky at f/36 and there's no flare.

Last edited:
Well congrats on joining the self cleaning crowd. I just had to disagree with someone who was fear mongering over doing wet cleaning. I swear there is so much misinformation out there. They claimed the cleaning fluids would cause fungus.

Very dirty the first time around. Glad to hear it worked out.

I thought I'd update this thread with a note about cleaning the focusing screen and also a question.

Cleaning the focusing screen isn't quite as straight forward and is definitely more involving, but it's not too difficult if you do it correctly.

I followed the instructions from CatzEye's website for removing the focus screen. I didn't actually intend to remove it, just let it tip downward so I can use my rocket blower on it, but I made the stupid mistake of tilting the camera too far forward, letting the focus screen and shim fall right out! Fortunately, they both fell right onto the clean paper I had laid out on my desk.

Once you have everything assembled again, clasping the retaining clip back into place is a real pain the neck at first. Your initial instinct is to just push it up. I tried this many times using a tiny screwdriver behind a pec-pad, but with no success. Using the suggestion from the CatzEye instructions, I used the eraser end of a pencil and pushed in the direction they instructed, and it clasps easily.

Unfortunately.... I ended up making the focus screen dirtier :(

Is it safe to clean the focusing screen with Eclipse or E2 and sensor swab? Maybe just a pec-pad?

A focusing screen has two sides:

Outside exposed - is etched.
Inside - is polished.

Dust is often encountered on the exposed etched side.
This you DO NOT attempt to clean with anything but air. The etching is very sensitive and can easily be damaged.

I do not think the polished inside surface is coated, so it may not require a special fluid.

I've used a rocket blower over and over again, it doesn't get any cleaner than it is.

EDIT: There are some weird marks on the focus screen that weren't there before. I think I may have scratched it, but I'm not sure. I think what I'm going to do is order a couple of new focus screens and attempt to clean the one I have. If I end up ruining it, I can just replace it right away.

Last edited:
I don't believe sensors are as sensitive as people say. My friend, took off my lens, lifted up the mirror, went to blow on the sensor, and actually got a small dab of saliva on it. I panicked, and I wiped it off with my 100% cotton t-shirt. I haven't noticed anything different about it after that happened, and that was about, 3 months ago.

interesting info here, certainly learnt something, thanks guys.
clear.gif

My friend, took off my lens, lifted up the mirror, went to blow on the sensor, and actually got a small dab of saliva on it

Maybe you can spit polish them...;)

Seriously I'd kill someone if they 'blew' into my camera like that. Saliva can be very acidic depending on what you've eaten or had to drink prior to doing that. Not a good thing to do. :thumbdown:

(friends that do that you just apply a sound thrashing to, store employees that do that are open for instantaneous spine removal on the spot) :thumbup:

I don't believe sensors are as sensitive as people say.
Well, the sensor may be, but the AA filter certainly isn't. As long as you follow the fairly simple instructions to the letter, you really can't go wrong.

As I've learned the hard way, the focus screen is far more sensitive. I think I may send in my D40 to Nikon for a screen replacement and professional cleaning.

My friend, took off my lens, lifted up the mirror, went to blow on the sensor, and actually got a small dab of saliva on it. I panicked, and I wiped it off with my 100% cotton t-shirt. I haven't noticed anything different about it after that happened, and that was about, 3 months ago.
Wow, I didn't think it was that tough.

The only problem I have with my sensor, is that I have spots in the top-right corner of all my photos pretty much. It really bothers me, but I don't know exactly how I can clean it. The cotton t-shirt didn't work very well at removing it.

Most reactions

Back