Cokin P Series and lens flare

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Jist ordered a set of colin p series grad nd filters and the holders. Can't wait! Only thing I'm wondering about is since you can't place a lens hood over the lens woth the holder, how do you control lens flare?

I prefer the "hope and pray" method. Just kidding, your hand will work, or just make a hood out of like a cut up soft drink cup or something.

I often shoot with wide angle lens, and although I do have a hood for it, the hood is ridiculously big and doesn't shade the lens very well, so I don't use it. Therefore, I must shade the lens with my hand, or a hat or something.

I keep an 8x10 piece of matte black craft foam (about 1/16" thick, $0.29 @ Wal-mart or Michaels) in my camera bag. Makes an ideal lens-hoold. You can buy Cokin lens hoods, but I find they're more trouble than they're worth.

Let me know how these work for you. I debated last weekend on picking up these. I have heard that the cokin filters sometime give a purple color cast that has to be fixed in post. But I mean really for the price compared to Lee/Singh filters this is much more cost effective.

Let me know how these work for you. I debated last weekend on picking up these. I have heard that the cokin filters sometime give a purple color cast that has to be fixed in post. But I mean really for the price compared to Lee/Singh filters this is much more cost effective.

The purple cast is chromatic abberation, which I believe is due to the quality of the filters. But I am exactly like you, I was going to go for the LEE filters but figured since this is my first set I may as well go for a set that have a solid background but aren't as pricey to see how I get on.

Question for those who have the P filters - Do they work well with the Nikon 17mm-35mm f/2.8 wide angle lens? I won't get vignetting at 17mm will I?

I've been using Cokin filters for years and the NDs and G-NDs and if you're shooting toward the sun, especially when it's low on the horizon, they will display moderate to strong CA, but I find that 99.9% of the time, that can be controlled or eliminated with the propper application of the Tirediron Mk II Cokin Lens Hood as detailed above.

Any gel filter will produce some degree of CA, Lees definitely much less so, but when I figure I can buy 3-4 Cokins for the price of 1 Lee, and given that my filters often see rough treatment, it makes more financial sense for me to stick with the cheaper ones.

Quote: "the Tirediron Mk II Cokin Lens Hood as detailed above. "

I use the "Derrel Mark IV baseball cap lens hood" in preference to that fancy-pants craft foam hood you're pushing...it's awesome!

Quote: "the Tirediron Mk II Cokin Lens Hood as detailed above. "

I use the "Derrel Mark IV baseball cap lens hood" in preference to that fancy-pants craft foam hood you're pushing...it's awesome!

Ooooooooh... get a load of Mr. Fancy-Pants Derrel and his Mk IV... plain, old Mk II isn't good enough for him!

:p

Yeah, well...as a kid, there was the Lincoln Continental Mark IV, so I always wanted a lens hood that was equally elegant and stylish as that big, honkin' American-made car...

In all seriousness--almost anything that's dark-ish and which can as I say it, "throws a shadow onto the front element and filter" will work as a lens hood, especially when the sun or other light source is coming in at straight-ish angles, or when the light source is glancing...often times the worst glare comes from light sources that are at glancing or shallow angles to the filter front...so a piece of black foam, or black card, or the dark green of a baseball cap's underside brim works...pretty darned well...

Looking forward to it!
Tirediron, can you post an example of how bad the CA is? And how do you process it in post? I think I heard Lightroom had a feature for it?

(Lots of question marks in this one, also I was looking at your fancy lens hoods. I think this would out-fancy both of you)
TopHatAround1905.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Question for those who have the P filters - Do they work well with the Nikon 17mm-35mm f/2.8 wide angle lens? I won't get vignetting at 17mm will I?
I have the P filters but I don't have the 17-35mm lens. I have the Tokina 11-16 that I use on a full-frame camera, and I do get some vignetting at 16mm.

Make sure to remove any UV filters from the lenses – those 2mm make a huge difference when it comes to vignetting.

I have the P filters but I don't have the 17-35mm lens. I have the Tokina 11-16 that I use on a full-frame camera, and I do get some vignetting at 16mm.

Make sure to remove any UV filters from the lenses – those 2mm make a huge difference when it comes to vignetting.

Yeh definitely, I'm using a D90 so hopefully because it's not full frame I should be able to avoid the vignetting.

Most reactions

Back