Color film in b&w print dev?

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yesterday I found this old roll of color Konica 200. I didn't care much about what was on it, but I was curious to see anyway. I didn't feel like taking the time to properly develop color and I'm about to run out of b&w film developer.
So I had the more or less good idea to use print dev. I mixed some Ilford Multigrade, slightly stronger than 1+99. I didn't know exactly for how long i'd need to develop it, so I went for 8 minutes. (wanted to push it some)

The results: awfull, overdeveloped, but a few could be suitable for printing. Would be more like a waste of paper, though.

So I was wondering: If I wouldn't have pushed it and would've done everything carefully, could that kind of thing possibly give something decent?

I've never tried it, but in my earliest darkroom days accidently processed a roll of Ilford XP2 (a C41 film) in B&W chemicals. I too got awfull, if not interesting overexposed results. Never tried to replicate or improve on the results though.

Colour film processes a different way to B&W.
There are 3 emulsions to contend with - sensitive to red, blue and green.
Initially they process with B&W dev but included in are colour couplers which produce the dyes to make the colour image. The silver is then bleached out with the fix.
By processing with B&W dev you are getting three B&W negs in one - combined with a yellow filter as part of the tri-pack film.
Print dev will develop film but it produces rather contrasty results in general.
The bottom line is - processing colour film as B&W is a waste of time. You won't ever get anything worth using.

ah well... I'm still happy i didn't waste film dev on it. :)
that shoud keep me from experimenting with potentially valuable rolls.

thanks guys.

Alexandra said:
Yesterday I found this old roll of color Konica 200. I didn't care much about what was on it, but I was curious to see anyway. I didn't feel like taking the time to properly develop color and I'm about to run out of b&w film developer.

You're just getting lazy now...

queen_of_scum said:
I've developed colour as BW once before - i think the camera had a few light leaks, but the resulting negs were actually very easy to print even if they weren't that great:

It reminds me of old french movies. I like it!
Could you tell us how did you develop it? Chemicals, time, and so on.
And what was the film?

I understand that color films developed as B&W should have low contrast
because of the background hue... How did you print it?

Thanks!

woocheol said:
I understand that color films developed as B&W should have low contrast
because of the background hue... How did you print it?

Thanks!
I did a roll of 800 in D-76 1:1 and they were a bit underexposed but useable at 12 minutes. The background does change things, normal looking results at about a grade 3 or 3 1/2 magenta filter. And really long exposures compared to normal negs.

"Fujicolour Superia 800, expired and processed as BW (Rodinal 1+25, 9min)

Printed at 2stop, 10sec"

So bascially, it was shockingly easy to print! I don't think I had any kind of grading on (using standard multigrade paper) so maybe i should have another go but crack up the magenta.

Most reactions

Back