Complete Newbie: Insuring equipment?

angelak24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All! I am a complete newbie though I have been lurking on the forum for awhile. I have a question about insuring my equipment. I have a d60 and a couple of lenses (nothing too expensive) and do not have anything insured yet. I do some second shooting for weddings and some family/child pics when asked by family and friends...so I would in now way call myself a professional by an stretch of the imagination. However, as I begin to get more equipment and do more with photography should I have my equipment insured and how/where do I go about doing this?

Also, on a side note, the hubby and I are going to be going to Hawaii on vacation and I cannot wait to bring along my camera to capture the scenery etc. (though i do enjoy taking photos of people rather than scenery.) BUT I am very concerned about taking the camera without insurance...worried about theft and/or dropping/damaging the camera (I have an insane lack of grace lol :lmao:). Also, I have never traveled with camera equipment before so if anyone can give me any advice for how to travel with the camera I would welcome those comments as well! :D

Thanks in advance!! ;)

Like a good neighbor, state farm is there. And some folks have posted some reasonable prices if you search the threads on this topic.

In many cases, if you have a home insurance policy, your gear may be covered already. Although, I'd guess that most people have a fairly high deductible on their home policy, which means it may not be worth it to claim $1000 worth of camera gear. What used to do, was to have a separate rider on my policy, just for my camera gear, so that the deductible on it wasn't so high.

Now, the rub is that if you use your gear in a professional capacity, then it may not be covered under your home policy. That's a question for your insurance company.

I just recently insurred all of my equipement for with state farm for complete coverage. That means even if my 3 year old pours a glass of milk on my D90, or I leave my entire camera back pack in the mens room at the airport, it is fully covered. I got about $6700 worth of coverage for $70 per year. I have to tell you it is a great feeling knowing that no matter what my gear will be 100% replaced with brand new equipment if anything should happen to it.I too am not professional. In fact they asked me that when I called to get the coverage set up. I guess they don't cover pros for some reason. I also think State Farm is one of the few insurance companies that provide this kind of insurance rider. Farmers, who i use for all other home and auto did not offer this.I say go get your coverage and leave your worries behind!As for travel advise....what kind of travel do you typically do? Road trips, train, plane, cruise ship?

Most companies that will insure your gear will do so for both professional and amateur alike, BUT the difference is that the premiums for professional insurance are MUCH higher since the insurance company assumes that with greater use comes greater risk and professional insurance also normally covers liability as well.

When I checked with Farmers they would cover my camera equipment under my home owners polity but only for the same coverage. Which means it would only be covered for Fire, flood, wind or theft. it would not cover any sort of accidental breakage, dropping, Stolen or left at the airport, kids do something to it. Plus I would have to pay the deductible.With the rider I got from State Farm it is covered for any reason....anywhere....and there is no deductible.

Be careful relying on a homeowner's policy, a lot of disclaimers wrote into those. I assume OP wanted "sleep gopod not worry about anything" insurance on the equipment.

I guess they don't cover pros for some reason.
I'm sure they do - it probably costs more though, which would be why they were asking.

To them, a pro would have a much higher chance of breaking something and filing a claim than a hobbyist would.

Thanks for all the help! It sounds like State Farm might be the way to go! :) I really do appreciate all the help and info!

- Angela

It would be worth calling whoever you insure all your other stuff (car, house, etc) with - they will probably give you some sort of discount for having multiple policies with them.

I added my camera equipment to my renter's policy separately. So, it's an additional fee. They will replace all listed equipment in the event it is lost, stolen, or damaged. When I purchase new equipment for my camera, I go straight to my insurance office and have it insured before I even take it out of the box to use. If the office isn't open, then I won't use it until it is insured. Make sure it is clear what they will and will not cover and under what circumstances they will cover it. I made my agent tell me about 5 times lol.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back