Computer customer service professionals

shootermcgavin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm kind of sick of calling up with a problem about the computer and them asking when the last time I ran a virus scan was being the first thing they ask. Anti virus programs cause as many problems as they solve and I haven't used one in years because I got sick of them. So what comes after that, they want you to back up all your stuff on your computer which only means one thing they want to wipe the memory and start from scratch. I don't need to call them to do something so primitive to fix an error message on my computer. Seriously with all our technology that is the best way to fix a little error message that I lived with for months but finally wanted to put CS5 on my laptop and it didn't like that idea. I hate customer service, I hate that they are in a different country, I hate that you have to wait for them to read a script for what they should tell you, and I hate that they don't fix problems. Instead of fixing a squeaky or sticky door they want you to buy a new one. When will the day come that the people that decide to set up such poor customer support get lined up and everyone can stone them, why ban such a great and fulfilling form of punishment.

Get a Mac already... Geeze :lmao:

If everyone got a mac they would start to have the same problems. And unfortunately they won't run some of the programs that I need to have. Otherwise I would be on mac like stink on pig.

...I hate that they are in a different country...

I can't really help/comment on the rest, but this one I have to defend. There's a really good reason they are not in this country and it ain't about money; It's about saving lives. How? Well if they were here I would have to shoot them in the face with a bazooka. So yeah, it's just safer this way.

Haha ^^^

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

...I hate that they are in a different country...

I can't really help/comment on the rest, but this one I have to defend. There's a really good reason they are not in this country and it ain't about money; It's about saving lives. How? Well if they were here I would have to shoot them in the face with a bazooka. So yeah, it's just safer this way.

That actually is the first good reason I've heard. I have people that work for me in other countries and I would never have them deal directly with my customers.

So I'm kind of sick of calling up with a problem about the computer and them asking when the last time I ran a virus scan was being the first thing they ask. Anti virus programs cause as many problems as they solve and I haven't used one in years because I got sick of them. So what comes after that, they want you to back up all your stuff on your computer which only means one thing they want to wipe the memory and start from scratch. I don't need to call them to do something so primitive to fix an error message on my computer. Seriously with all our technology that is the best way to fix a little error message that I lived with for months but finally wanted to put CS5 on my laptop and it didn't like that idea. I hate customer service, I hate that they are in a different country, I hate that you have to wait for them to read a script for what they should tell you, and I hate that they don't fix problems. Instead of fixing a squeaky or sticky door they want you to buy a new one. When will the day come that the people that decide to set up such poor customer support get lined up and everyone can stone them, why ban such a great and fulfilling form of punishment.

Most consumer customer service is not the greatest. Too many variables that they can't control! If someone loads a torrent app on their PC, and contracts a nasty bug... who is to blame? Not the customer service!

Shooter... I do IT for a living (30 years now)... have had a successful consulting business for years (commercial and residential). I agree that sometime AV can cause problems (if improperly configured)... but it is much less harmful then the viruses that you will "catch" without it! I would offer assistance... but if you have not been running AV, and have been infected... then yes, depending on what virus you have been hit with, a wipe and reinstall is the easiest and most reliable fix. I have had customers that refused to let me wipe their systems.. and I always tell them this

"I can repair anything I can find.... but with millions of things that a virus can change, I can't guarantee to find everything.. nor would you want to pay me what that would cost on an hourly basis. If I miss one thing.... that may be enough to make your system unreliable! And since you wouldn't follow my professional advice.. I won't be responsible for any said unreliability!"

All I can say! :) I would be more than happy to advise you on your choice of AV... most consumer AV "Suites" suck.. they are bloated! If you would like advice on your PC.. PM me the details, I will help if I can.

Stupid questions during the intake process are the NORM, shooter!!! A guy goes to the doctor with a problem, and the doctor asks, "So, when's the last time you went to the doctor?" Doah!

Or, you lose your car keys, and the wife asks, "Where's the last place you had them? Where did you actually set them down at?" Doah!

Derrel said:
Stupid questions during the intake process are the NORM, shooter!!! A guy goes to the doctor with a problem, and the doctor asks, "So, when's the last time you went to the doctor?" Doah!

Or, you lose your car keys, and the wife asks, "Where's the last place you had them? Where did you actually set them down at?" Doah!

True, there are a lot, A LOT of dumb people. I used to work in a hotel and people would call down all the time and say their hair dryer wasn't working. When I asked if it was plugged in they would usually give me some sort of attitude then check and immediately hang up the phone or just say thanks and hang up... Stupid question but a lot of people deserve the stupid questions!

I am not sure how many users realize, but the lifespan of a hard drive for example is about 5 years. Once it starts going bye bye, you will have all kinds of problems with the operating system, booting up, other software etc. The Power Supply can also be a problem. Sometimes it boots up the computer. Sometimes it doesn't. It can blow out the hard drive too.

skieur

Ha ha that's hilarious, I normally don't use a hair dryer cuz I shave my head but when I'm at a hotel I always use it and who ever I'm with always finds it strange.

cgipson I really appreciate the offer. I could say I've never had a virus but I guess with out an anti virus software I wouldn't really know for sure. I've tried some decent ones that didn't interfere too much but at the end of the day I try to run as few programs as possible and when I get in Call of Duty mode I hate having to remember to turn it off. Todays particular problem was not a virus problem in my opinion, there was a corrupted file and there were so fixes for it on the internet but I couldn't find the correct problem solver and with it under warranty I figured I'd let Asus handle it. I really only use my laptop for the internet so although I had to save a couple files it didn't bother me like it would on my desktop. The real pain is the 20 some email addresses I have to go back and set up in outlook... not fun. I think the last anti virus I used was AVG. I have something to vent about tomorrow but after 2 hours of bouncing around at pump it up I'm worn out for the day.

Most reactions

Back