Constrained Beauty

No, by 'original' I mean the image first posted. I admit that this might be a bit confusing, since 'original' could also mean the earliest possible version or something, but in this case it doesn't mean that and it's frankly unreasonable to assume that it does since a) 'original' is largely meaningless in that sense in this age of digital cameras and b) the image in post #5 has obvious flaws.

Yeah, the original was shot with a prime lens, and I was behind a steel fence shooting in, so from the very beginning I knew there would be quite a bit of cropping, because I knew I wanted to ideally be a little closer in. Additionally, I wanted the background in, and it got blown out pretty quickly if you exposed the statue much more brightly. I had a shot with the primary statue exposed brighter, but the statue of the drinking boy had a lot of blowouts and lost detail then, so I stopped down 2/3rds of a stop, knowing that would still give me some room to dodge up the primary subject.

In retrospect I might have done this as a very mild HDR, but I almost never think about doing HDR when I'm in the field, and I was shooting handheld and I always lose sharpness when I shoot HDR handheld. way more than I like, no matter what program I use for it.

Last edited:
I like the original... The interesting components to me are both statues, the woman (fountain) and the thirsty man. Another thought would be to juxtapose these images to build on that theme...

Thanks for the comments. Can you give an example of what you meant by juxtaposing the images to build ont hat theme?

Just that the guy is looking for the last drops in an empty vessel, when there is a fountain within reach

$7462211586_0978dbf015_o.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/nokinrocks/7462211586/

Last edited:
hmm, very interesting. So far We've had one clone the background statue out completely, one say he liked it as is, one that made it fairly close to the subject of the photo and one that used photoshop blur to drastically reduce it. I think they're all interesting takes, but it is sort of funny how differently people viewed that background statue.

lol when it comes to photography, take 100 photographers, one same flower and you'll get 200 different views of it

My 2 cents: Marcelle takes home the trophy.

Just that the guy is looking for the last drops in an empty vessel, when there is a fountain within reach

View attachment 12543

What intrigues me most in this story is how the boy is seemingly oblivious to the beautiful bare-breasted girl at his side. It's charming and the industrial elements add an anachronistic feel.

Marcelle has done a wonderful job of converting an interesting picture of a junkyard into picture of a not very good and poorly lit statue.

Marcelle has done a wonderful job of converting an interesting picture of a junkyard into picture of a not very good and poorly lit statue.

Technically if you think the second edit is poorly lit then you believe that the first one was poorly lit as well.

Sarcasm only works if you use it effectively.

But then again, your whole blog is all just complaining and sarcasm so...meh...

I didnt take marcele's edit as an edit as much as him saying he would have shot at a shallower DoF.

The first one IS poorly lit. But it's a fine photograph nonetheless. There's more to a photograph than the lighting.

It's too bad you think my blog is all complaining and sarcasm. Apparently I am failing to communicate well to you, and that's a shame. Were those your comments? I found some recent comments a little puzzling since they were, in content, agreeing with the post they referred to, and disagreeing in tone. Anyways, all commentary good or bad is welcome.

Last edited:

View attachment 12543

What intrigues me most in this story is how the boy is seemingly oblivious to the beautiful bare-breasted girl at his side. It's charming and the industrial elements add an anachronistic feel.

Yes, this is how I see it :)

Marcelle - I like your edit too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back