Controlling Off Camera Flashes

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have a couple of questions about off-camera flash. First from what I have read there are 3 types of "systems". I'm referring to Nikon, since this is what I use. So there's the Commander Mode (D90, D7000, D700, etc...), there is the IR operated trigger (SU-800) and then there is the Wireless Triggers.
I just got myself an SB-600 and I'll be buying a D7000 sooner than later. I'm wondering what the advantages of each are? Commander Mode, people say they see the pre-flash. IR would only be for compatible flashes (SB series, so no "cheapo" flash can be triggered). And well I can't see a negative aspect to the wireless triggers such as Pocket Wizards except the price, although there are alternatives.
I'm looking for your opinion about the best way to set this up. So any positive or negative you found in your present or past setup might help ;)

What will you be shooting?

I'd say Commander Mode except that around corners or in different rooms all together (architectural, some land scape) need wireless. Plus mixing flashes would be hard in CM unless the nissins really do work (Nissin Speedlite Di866 - Nikon Hot-shoe clip-on flash - 60M)

I use the cheapie ebay radio triggers, and have had very few issues. Certainly worth the $30.

I used the commander mode several time but in low light conditions, indoor since i found that its not working really well when used in bright sunlight.

I currently use the p301 triggers you can find on ebay and they are working pretty well. ive been using them for the last year +- and they work nicely. I didnt think they were reliable so i bought 6 triggers and 2 transmitter for like 100$ wich is not alot of money for that many triggers. They turned out to be not bad for the money and they are still working great. I changed the battery once.

I am currently looking to buy something a bit more expensive since i will be using them ALOT more in the next few months.

The reason pocket wizards are expensive, you can do TTL and FP. If you use cheap ebay radio trigger, you need to set the flash manual and you need to be within your sync speed.

IR triggering (Nikon CLS Commander mode, in the camera or using an SU-800) is wireless, but it's optical, line-of-sight, and only has a maximum range of about 30 feet. In direct sunlight the range may only be 3 feet (sunlight has a stronger IR signal).

Radio triggers, even the cheap ones, usually have a range well over 100 feet and are not affected by sunlight. But, the cheap radio triggers cannot TTL or do high speed sync (FP or HSS).

The best setup is going to depend on how, where (inside or outside), and what you shoot.

Is there a reason someone would use multiple flashes in TTL mode? The only use I see to the TTL/i-TTL mode is for on-camera fill flash in daylight...no?

Is there a reason someone would use multiple flashes in TTL mode?
The advantage is making adjustments to those multiple speedlights automatically or from the camera position, if using CLS and Commander mode.

Mostly multiple speedlights in iTTL/CLS mode, are being used by photographers paid/sponsored by Nikon to use their gear.

TTL/iTTL is a lot more complex that just using manual modes. If you're doing manual mode, you don't need $300 - $400 - $500 speedlights either, but making changes to the adjustments of multiple speedlights can take some time.

The only problems with the Nikon commander mode is you need line of sight, it doesn't work AT ALL in bright light situations, and fairly limited range.

Other than that, it works actually EXTREMELY well.

I have and use the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. Works very well not sure if Nikon has something like it or not.

Depending on your situation and needs my recontamination varies. Lately ive only been using Commander mode simply because i don't have the funds to buy a Radio trigger. Radio Triggers offer allot more flexibility when it comes to positioning your flash as sometimes the sensor can get blocked due to something being in the way or someone else holding it. If your going to be using a fairly simple setup with a few flashes id say go with the cheapo wireless triggers because you'll pretty much get used to using manual mode which in turn you will get faster at setting everything up.

I use wireless off camera flash at almost every wedding! I'm currently using the Pocket Wizard TT5's, but also own the Radio Popper PX system and the older, but VERY reliable Pocket Wizard Plus II system. Remote TTL does have it's place, but I often set my remote lights to a manual setting (adjusting them manually from the camera / flash).

I highly recommend playing around with the base Nikon CLS first. I wouldn't purchase any other wireless system until comfortable with the Nikon CLS. Most everything rides on top of it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back