Cool things you wouldn't do if it wasn't for photography

Wozza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.nzgamer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For me part of why I love Photography is the motivation it gives me for exploring, going to the zoo and otherwise putting down my videogame controllers and getting out of the house.

The single coolest thing I wouldn't have done though, would be hot air ballooning. I'm not good with heights, but the chance to do airial photography with no windows forced me to overcome this for a wicked photo opputunity.

Also wondering if anyone here has done fun/interesting stuff to get photo's they wouldn't have done otherwise?

I wouldn't have lugged all my gear, gotten loaded up with ticks, chiggers and red bugs, bitten by Mayflys, a few wasps, hit in the eye by a June bug, twisted a few ankles, cleaned the abrasions with Hydrogen Peroxide, dabbled pink Calamine lotion to all those parts that itched to a frenzy (and I mean all.... watch where your fingers go), swallowed all the aspirins or seen the perfect sunset if it wasn't for photography.

I wouldn't have lugged all my gear, gotten loaded up with ticks, chiggers and red bugs, bitten by Mayflys, a few wasps, hit in the eye by a June bug, twisted a few ankles, cleaned the abrasions with Hydrogen Peroxide, dabbled pink Calamine lotion to all those parts that itched to a frenzy (and I mean all.... watch where your fingers go), swallowed all the aspirins or seen the perfect sunset if it wasn't for photography.

Seems like reason enough :greenpbl:

I wouldnt have laid on the ground (for a more interesting viewpoint) in the middle of a park, wouldnt have chased butterflies around like a 5 year old, wouldn't have drove down an old gravel road I've never been on.

And I've only just started...

I most likely would not have been riding down the interstate leaning out the window @ 70mph trying to get a shot.

I would not have been outside @ 2am in 20deg weather without a coat trying to get a shot.

I would not have been riding on the backseat of a motorcycle turned backwards trying to get a shot. (That was Fun...but I will never do it again)

I would not have been riding on the backseat of a motorcycle turned backwards trying to get a shot. (That was Fun...but I will never do it again)

:biglaugh:

I did that....ONCE. And I wasn't even try to balance a camera in my hands.

I would never have laid down on one of those receiver hitch luggage racks to get an upward shot of a motorcylce on the road. I now know what a street luge feels like.

hmm, walked 20 miles in the pitch black alone in the rain in an unfamiliar place and only got 2 photos lol.. oh well.

I wouldn't be hanging out with some absolutely beautiful ladies if it wasn't for photography. That and if it wasn't for photography, they would have just thrown away the card with my number on it instead of calling me back. :mrgreen:

Let's see...

Sporting events--Standing in the 3rd base photo well at a Dodger's game, sitting on the baseline at a Lakers game, standing at the goal line for a Raider's game, standing in the corner at the glass at a Kings' game.

News events--Walking down a totally empty 110 freeway in downtown LA to get to an accident scene (really surreal!), covering presidents and vice-presidents, the Oscars and Emmys, going into flood waters or fire zones to get a shot (really didn't want to do that), photographing any number of 80s groups at concerts, seeing and talking to Red Skelton at one of his last appearances, same with Dudley Moore, having a really nice conversation with Harry Dean Stanton (including when I drove up to his house, his asking "Want a beer?"--really down-to-earth guy)

Features--hiking through the Sierras, seeing early mornings with a different perspective instead of just saying "Jeez, it's really early, let's go back to bed." Photographing all the wonders of the underwater world (yeah, I probably would have gone scuba diving without a camera, but it really adds to the experience).

All in all, a pretty good life and it keeps going, although it's much harder to get up to catch the dawns these days!

Jerry

For me part of why I love Photography is the motivation it gives me for exploring, going to the zoo and otherwise putting down my videogame controllers and getting out of the house.

I wouldnt have laid on the ground (for a more interesting viewpoint) in the middle of a park, wouldnt have chased butterflies around like a 5 year old

And I've only just started...

most of mine are already said - so far :)

I wouldnt be out everynight in -70 F temperatures waiting for the perfect shot.
I wouldnt be running through the woods with 60lb of gear on my back trying to get infront of my subjects.
I wouldnt be 20,000ft in the air capturing aircrafts flying around.
I wouldnt have climbed a 8,000ft + mountains just cause I saw some white specks on top looking like sheep just to get a photo of it.
I wouldnt have seen or felt the power of a 30mm gattling canon of a A-10 Thunderbolt from close range.
I wouldnt have to dodge motars or rockets fired near me from enemy forces while im capturing everything as it unfolds.

I wouldnt be up before dawn to try and get photographs of animals on week-ends, when I dont have to be up.
What I would be doing is sleeping in.

I got a 2 field passes for steelers games and press passes for 2 pirates games 1 to shoot the first pitch. I have never been a big sports fan but this was an experience that I will never forget. I of course also have had the privledge of seeing hundreds of people young and old starting their lives together. I know some people do not like being at weddings but I think it is an honor to be a part of a very special day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back