pithaCZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

would someone be so kind and help me with one technical issue? I was taking pictures (JPEG and RAW) using my Olympus camera and SD Card, which worked perfectly fine until the moment where any newly taken photos could be shortly seen in 'view' mode but after a moment they couldnt been seen anymore on camera and neither on any other device. Files are there, but they cannot been viewed. Its like they were fine as they were written to memory on SD Card, but after a brief time somehow corrupted. Please tell me there is a way how to save those pics. Thank you all.

P.

As you were shooting, did you delete photos in the camera?
Doing so is a common way of corrupting subsequent files.
Image file size varies with image content.

When when an image is deleted the File Allocation Table (FAT) for the memory card notes that the memory locations where that image file were stored are again available. When a larger file then gets written to that freed up, to small range of memory locations which then causes the FAT then to starts mismanaging the available memory locations - thus corrupting subsequent images.

Hello,

would someone be so kind and help me with one technical issue? I was taking pictures (JPEG and RAW) using my Olympus camera and SD Card, which worked perfectly fine until the moment where any newly taken photos could be shortly seen in 'view' mode but after a moment they couldnt been seen anymore on camera and neither on any other device. Files are there, but they cannot been viewed. Its like they were fine as they were written to memory on SD Card, but after a brief time somehow corrupted. Please tell me there is a way how to save those pics. Thank you all.

P.
Welcome to the forum

If a card is full and the camera (if it has option) to release without card on (take picture with no card) the camera will keep taking pictures which you will see on the screen but will not be saved to the full card.

Another option besides a file actually being corrupted is a counterfit memory card. What counterfitters do is take cheap small capacity cards and put in fake firmware so the card shows it's bigger than it really is. When those cards get full. They stop storing pictures, but the camera thinks there is more room as the card reports all this available space, so it keeps sending pics to it. But they are never recorded.

And Faststone Image Viewer is useful to use as well, to monitor the recovery folder(s) while PhotoRec is running.

Most reactions

Back