Could use some white balance advice

Tommyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm hoping someone could advise on white balance in the field. I want to photograph an old barn that sits a distance back from the road. I will be using an 18mm-200mm Nikon lens. I'd like to capture this barn correctly and was wondering about the white balance settings. Am I better off using one of the preset white balance settings on the Nikon D300s or would I do better using a grey white balance card held in front of me to create a custom white balance even though the card is where I stand and not where the subject is?

I'll basically be in the same light the barn will be in .It does not have any shelter around it and I would be standing in lighting very close to the lighting the subject will be in.

Do you guys think i'm better off with the custom white balance or the presets in this situation. Or should I take the extra time and try presets and custom to play it safe? Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated. I think for exposure I will be using exposure compensation but the white balance is what I'd really like to hear your thoughts on. What would you guys do?

Use AWB and shoot raw. Usually AWB is close enough. And raw files allow you the ability to change WB in post.

Taking a shot of a gray card makes changing it in post an easy thing to do.

Use AWB and shoot raw. Usually AWB is close enough. And raw files allow you the ability to change WB in post.

Taking a shot of a gray card makes changing it in post an easy thing to do.

Yup. Auto WB FTW.

Yes I would say do a custom wb. Why not? It would only take you a second. You could do one with AWB and one with CWB to see what you like best :D

This is why new photographers should go with Sony. Pre-chimping in the EVF >*. I've pretty much never had to think twice about WB as I can always see exactly how my picture is going to come out before I take it.

I know this thread isn't about brands but in case someone looking for a first DSLR is reading this....

This is why new photographers should go with Sony . . .
How do you propose they cope with the downsides/limitations to EVF, in camera image stabilization, and Sony's limited selection of lenses?

What downsides and limitations? There's only benefits. IBIS can be turned off and there more than enough lenses for the average hobbiest.

This is why new photographers should go with Sony. Pre-chimping in the EVF >*. I've pretty much never had to think twice about WB as I can always see exactly how my picture is going to come out before I take it.

Uh...... No. And linking a Flickr page with photos that need the WB corrected doesn't bolster your position.

Joe

Uh...... No. And linking a Flickr page with photos that need the WB corrected doesn't bolster your position.

Joe

Great argument.

Joe

Great argument.

I thought that pointing out it doesn't seem to work for you was the great argument.

Joe

I dont see why this barn is any different to any other subject you'd shoot in terms of selecting the WB.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back