Cove in the storm and I need c/c

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't post photos much but I like the concept here and want to make it a better shot.
My photos are OK to edit !
It started to rain on me and I did remove quite a few drops from image. I got here without any time to set up or ponder about the shot. I can go back to this location again.
what should I do different and in pp?
I never feel like I get clear/sharp photos like all of you?!
thanks.
Oregon inlet (1024x679).jpg

Tim's general rules of thumb for learning better editing:

Rule 1:
All your common edits are subtractive, that is they remove information. Even though you may talk in terms of adding clarity, adding contrast, adding saturation, etc. the tools really subtract. Look at the image above, where is the colour? (I'm guessing) you've tone mapped - removed contrast - then added contrast/saturation back in (same thing unless you can separate your colour from your luminosity?). In simple terms you dull the colour by adding grey then thin them back to whatever hue is left. (Guessing again) the added clarity has introduced a pall of soot around the rocks in the foreground and the pillars in the bay. Adding black does little for colour.
So rule 1 is do as little as possible and always shoot with the aim of doing as little as possible to achieve the result you want, that way you preserve as much of the original information as possible.

Rule 2:
Sharpness is an illusion not a fact. Everything in the photographic process dulls your image (see Rule 1) so there's no such thing as a sharp image, only ones that appear sharp. Take a look at this watercolour (yes, watercolour):
Rock Ola
Now if Ralph Goings can do that in watercolour then there must be more to sharpness than clarity sliders and unsharp masks eh? ;) Honestly, I've seen this Karsh image held aloft as a pinnacle of sharpness, but if you really look you'll see (even at this low res) just how little is actually in focus (clue - look at the jacket and you'll see the depth of focus clearly):
The Last Famous Picture Gallery : Photo
It's all an illusion caused by trickery and subterfuge, ;) I probably explained it best here in one of my old postings. Scroll down to the long winded ramble...
Autumn Spruce and Scots Pine, Black Mount

Rule 3:
Fix your White Balance before you start. Colour balance is very important especially if you're going to do big edits (which you shouldn't if you can avoid it- see Rule 1). The trouble with a slight green cast is that everything looks slightly green and therefore everything looks slightly similar. We see differences, therefore if you want to be seen be different, therefore if you want colour to be seen make sure there are different ones in your image not just shades of the same one.

Rule 4:
A little contrast in the sky does not equal a storm, especially when it's only stratus cloud with flat calm water. ;);)

Got the original NEF? What processing software do you have?

Joe

quite a nice shot. I'd frame it to get a bit more space on the right (so the line of rocks isn't cut) and I'd try and have the rocks coming in at the bottom left hand corner. I'd also try and frame it so you have a couple of rocks that are not cut off in the foreground at the bottom of the frame. It does look a little soft though. did you use a tripod and if so was it locked down properly? Where was your focus point?

Here's an edit which is a more neutral colour balance. Essentially in this image it's really adding a lot more grey but in doing so it also adds variety and difference and it's the variety and difference that makes colour noticeable:

edit.jpg

You're getting some excellent advice on processing, but beyond that, I'd find a different spot. My problem with the composition here is that the line of rocks leads one nicely into the frame, but there's really nothing there. The building and the posts in the water are too small to really hold one's attention. If this was shot with a wide angle lens you might consider trying something longer, which would make the building larger relative to the foreground rocks.

That being said, this might work better as a B&W, focusing on the lines and contrast, without the distraction of color. I'd still like to see the building larger, but you could crop a bit on the bottom and left.

.. but there's really nothing there.
As for your composition, I think you should try to find a better spot from which to photograph this scene.

As it is now, it is nearly static, with the strong horizontal line running off the edge to the left, and splitting the vertical space nearly in the middle.

The line of rip-rap leads not to the building, but to the line, which visually just continues on out of the frame. I don't know if it is possible, but it would be nice if you could get a line leading to the building instead.

(next time) If the sky has more figure in it, then crop the rocks to make the sky more dominant. If the sky is benign, then crop some sky off.

The building being so far off center makes the main subject the line (or the junction of the two lines), but actually there is nothing there to hold one's interest. Make the building the subject by making it a more dominant feature of the scene.

The original photo is more better,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back