Critique needed please

rslt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't done a lot of portrait photography but have been inspired by the images on this site, so I got myself a off camera flash and a few bits and pieces and these are my first shots.
I didn't have any control over the clothes and would have preferred at least not a black top.
Tried to get the catchlight but not sure if I have overdone it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_8673.jpg
IMG_8702.jpg
IMG_8709.jpg
IMG_8716.jpg
IMG_8736.jpg

A good start! They seem a bit under-exposed and slightly warm, but definitely a good start.

As said above,
My first thought was the warm colour

I agree a bit warm and slightly underexposed but a good start for sure. I'm not much of a portraitist (is that even the correct word?) and I know you didn't choose the clothes but... her shirt - you could have her fix those zipper pulls so they are folded back flat not sticking out, his shirt - you could have him fix the collar and either remove the undershirt or button a button so it doesn't show as much. Also there is something on Mom's chin in photo 1 (assuming these are your semi-cooperative parents?). It's not there in the other photos so you either cloned it out in the others or it is a speck of something or other.

I think these would look better if they were given about one half of a stop more light in post-processing software. For a first effort at this I think you did quite well!

"Portraitist".... my phone's autofill knows the word...

Thanks for the comments, yep could have done more with the clothes now you point it out, I'll cool them down and adjust the lighting.

Thanks for the comments, yep could have done more with the clothes now you point it out, I'll cool them down and adjust the lighting.
I agree that they are a bit under-exposed, but they need more separation from the background. Fashion some kind of reflector to get some light on their hair and shoulders.

I agree that they are a bit under-exposed, but they need more separation from the background. Fashion some kind of reflector to get some light on their hair and shoulders.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, irony is I had a reflector but it sort of fell by the wayside as I was concentrating on everything else.

I have edited two of the same photo, one is lightened and I have reduced the saturation, the other one is more of what I like, some shadow and a bit more colour (looking at it now probably could have taken a bit of red out of it).
BUT, in general portrait terms which would be considered 'better'?
I know it's personal but I would prefer to head in a more appealing direction than my own if less people like them.
Thanks again for the comments and I can see there are a lot of details that I need to work on.

IMG_8703 copy1.jpg
IMG_87031.jpg

How does this one look for adjustments?
I calibrated my screen and now those I have done look like they need redoing.
IMG_8720_edited-1.jpg

I have edited two of the same photo, one is lightened and I have reduced the saturation, the other one is more of what I like, some shadow and a bit more colour (looking at it now probably could have taken a bit of red out of it).
BUT, in general portrait terms which would be considered 'better'?
I know it's personal but I would prefer to head in a more appealing direction than my own if less people like them.
Thanks again for the comments and I can see there are a lot of details that I need to work on.
You have lighted these two subjects nearly the same, but for future reference, you might consider lighting male subjects with more of a "side light" scheme, and just a touch "dark". That does not mean underexposed, but darker than for women. This presents a challenge when you are doing a couple, as the female needs a more direct light, and the male could use some side light. Think about it.

Female subjects (maybe particularly an older female) should be lighted more "straight on" with the light nearly next to the lens. They make "beauty dish" reflectors for just such a lighting scheme. Or you could use "clamshell" lighting, which means two lights with the lens between them.

Aiming another light at the backdrop, or at your subjects from behind would help them stand out from the background. As it is, I think they blend into the dark background a little too much and some separation would look nice.

Two identical, smallish umbrellas, placed either side by side or one on top, one on bottom, create nearly shadowless lighting which will minimize skin texture and skin flaws, beard stubble Et, this is a good way to light for older females or people who have skin problems. With both lights at the same power The Identical umbrellas create perfect fill, and literally cancel Shadows. This is much faster than retouching every frame.

All great information, thanks a lot.
I'll have to absorb it all, it gives me a good direction of what I need to work on.
I have a 1200mm umbrella with speedlight and a white corflute reflector.
I have another speed light that is only activated by another flash.
I'm taking photos this afternoon so I'll try and get some separation and side lighting.
And better PP.
Enjoying the process . Feeling pumped :) :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back