Critique or encouragement?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by markc, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

u forgot ksmattfish, metroshane, photobug and motcon :lol:

dont get me wrong .. this is a great forum for beginners ... there is a lot to learn here :D ... im not a pro yet (but i will be someday) ... but im not a beginner and i feel the need to be amongst fellow photographers that share a true passion for photography and always wanting to go to the next level ...

i also think just because a person is new to this forum is not exactly new to photography ...

i am on a mission to perfect and fine tune my skills ... i need to surround myself with people who share that vision ... not to create good photographs, but to create great photographs ... good is not good enough :D

there are a handful of great photographers here ... i wonder what keeps them going :?

2. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

My old hockey coach always told us that you are only as good as the people you practice with. Dew, I think that is what you are saying.

There is also another side to it. If all the more experienced and more tallented people didnt stick around to help the less tallented, the circle would never complete.

This forum would die if all of the tallented people decided to leave. It would be the blind leading the blind.

3. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

that is exactly what im saying ... thanks for clarifying that :lol:

i try to be helpful and use some of the expertise that i've acquired along the way .. i dont want u guys to think im selfish in any way ... but at the same time, i cant forget about me in the process ..

there are some talented beginners here (and i was a beginner before) ... and u'll notice sometimes i go out of my way to share knowledge with them because i trully beleive they have talent and i will continue to help those that are passionate about it..

but ur right, the blind cant lead the blind .. they'd both get hit by a truck :lol:

but i still need to breathe .. i need to go to the promiseland and need the right vehicle that will take me there :D ... its been a long time coming :eek:

4. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think thats great dew but you will be sorely missed should you decide to pack up yer bags and go. I am still learning, i've learned alot of amazing things from your posts. But at least i can check up on your website how ya doing (i promise not to download just look ;) )

:oops: Sorry if I offended with reposts & revisions, like I said, it was never in my heart to rude or disrespectful, given what people say here i see that in a new light now. Though someone may posted it somewhere here, kinda wish someone pm'd on it, what's obvious to some people - I usually need a swift kick in the ol' arse to see it for myself. :mrgreen: I have a bad tendency to act first and think later thats gotten me in trouble all my life!

I don't think i've every reposted your work Dew - because i am certain i would have heard a message from ya loud n clear! ;) but I do appreciate you bringing that up - it is an important issue that i obviously haven't given much thought to.

5. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is only my opinion and I could be wrong, but keep in mind that sometimes teachers can learn just as much their students. Helping others to enhance their skills can result in you digging deeper into your own skills and knowledge as well as potentially opening the door for other areas that you may not have explored.

I know that in the computer field, my experiences with teaching various levels of computer users had a major impact on my personal knowledge in the field. Helping people that knew less than me pushed me to continue expanding my skills and knowledge and often raised questions that I was humbled by.

Just my 2 cents...

:soapbox: <---somehow I knew I would get a lot of use out of this little guy!

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's okay, Vonn, you're such a nice guy I can't imagine anyone taking too much offense. To me, "correcting" or editing someone's photo without the photographer asking them to is sort of like trespassing. Does it really hurt anyone? Probably not, but it's still not considered polite. There are many photo boards that expressly prohibit it.

I can see where Dew is coming from, but at the same time, if everyone gets up and leaves when they think there is nothing more to learn, then how will this forum get any better? Everything must start somewhere, and although I frequent other forums where I run into folks who are doing more of the kind of stuff I do (traditional BW darkroom), I find the attitude on this forum to be really positive, and I like that a lot. I have to admit, I come here more to socialize about photography than to learn. Although I do learn, especially about digital (thanks again, Doxx), and I think that there is a lot of learning potential in looking at "amateur" work. Dew, if you need to check out other waters, then I encourage you to do so, never limit your learning, but please don't ever leave us completely.

7. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Quite true Chase.

Learning is finding out what you already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know it just as well as you do. You are all learners, doers, teachers. - Richard Bach

8. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

honestly, i have learned nothing here in the past few months ... everything that i have acquired as far as my skills is from the hubby and if he doesnt know it .. he will find the answers for me

im with ksmattfish .. i like to socialize with others to talk about the thing i love .. photography :D

a lot of times i like to get a second opinion about something, so i'll post it here to get a different perspective ... but that will not make me a better photographer ... i will be boxed in at an amateur level ... very few people here really knows how a photo can be made better .. because they simply dont know :lol:

i've been researching what the big boys are doing for a few months now ... and the photos that they reflect are so different than what is presented here ... one day i will stand alongside the big boys and not be ashamed to show my work ... im driven and my new projects reflect growth for me artistcally and technically .. but im serious about what im doing ....

i'll stick around for a minute.. and im sure no one here will bat an eye when im gone .. but in a few yrs .. be looking out for me in your next photography magazine or the like :wink:

9. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've also found that giving critiques and doing how-tos have been instrumental in helping me advance in my work. When I have to put into a coherent written or spoken statement something that I've been doing by gut feel, it forces me to take a closer look at what I'm actually doing. I usually end up discovering that I'm making some choices out of default. I might not change my mind in how I do them, but at least it becomes more of a conscious choice so that I can look for other places where similar choices might be made and I may not be acting consistantly. My focus has much improved, no pun intended.

When I explain ideas to someone else, on some level, I'm also explaining it to myself.

10. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beautiful.

Heck, I feel like I'm learning a lot just in this thread. You know, there are a million how-to books that can teach you all you need to know to take a picture. It's the other stuff that no one writes books about that you learn in the conversations here.

11. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

im getting the impression that growth is a bad thing :? ... can u imagine a 20yr old in 6th grade? :scratch:

i think to discourage growth is a bad thing and beginner photographers need to get real and be honest where they stand on the totem pole ...

for example ... "we" make think their stuff is great .... they get out there in the real world and find out that that stuff is garbage :lol: ...

like i said, i've seen the "big boys" stuff ... im not there yet .. but im not too far away ...

i think to mislead a photographer/hobbyist about their work is not doing them a favor in the long run ... they may have false pretenses :eek:

12. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

No offense intended Dew, but it sounds like you are placing the responsibility for growing as an artist on the community here. I can understand understand feeling frustrated. I feel that way with my local camera club. They seem more interested in competitions than the exchange of knowledge. But it seems like you are putting everyone down.

I don't think anyone is discouraging growth.

I have to be blunt here. Screw the totem pole. I don't care where I "stand" and I don't plan on caring the future. That's great if you have ambitions that involve comparisons with someone else, but I don't think it's fair to apply that to all beginers. They should be the one making that choice.

I think that pushing a load of expectations on them can discourage them from even trying. I'd rather encourage someone along, and let them deal with the rest of the art world at their own pace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.