Critique or encouragement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MDowdey said:
have i stepped into the twilight zone?

339%3B%3B%3B3523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3B5%3A89282ot1lsi

OMG... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

you have reached enlightenment oh wise matt, i see you have fully developed your third eye!!!

You know, I have heard people use the expression "A pimple making a good impression of a third eye" but actually growing a third eye, no THAT is impressive. :p

Dew said:
im getting the impression that growth is a bad thing :? ... can u imagine a 20yr old in 6th grade? :scratch:

i think to discourage growth is a bad thing and beginner photographers need to get real and be honest where they stand on the totem pole ...

for example ... "we" make think their stuff is great .... they get out there in the real world and find out that that stuff is garbage :lol: ...

like i said, i've seen the "big boys" stuff ... im not there yet .. but im not too far away ...

i think to mislead a photographer/hobbyist about their work is not doing them a favor in the long run ... they may have false pretenses :eek:

Dew, sorry you have come to this conclusion! Voodoo is right, this is only a public place open for discussion(s). All can learn a wee here and there from other posters' experiences, or nothing at all. But what makes this forum great is the connectivity between people living in different corners of this world. IMHO no school of photography can (or will) offer you this. Sure, it's not the NY Institute of Photography, but one can still find invaluable pieces of information. And a lot of common ground and friendship amongst all of us, here.

You will be sorely missed... :cry: :pissed:

And whatever you will do, I wish you the best luck!

:band:

:lol: I say we all gang up on that new guy markc... he instigated all this mayhem! :lol:

just kidding, markc! I think its great you've started a such and lively and thought provoking topic - bet ya had no idea what a can of worms you opened! Seriously, you've brought up some great points there.

ksmattfish said:
MDowdey said:
have i stepped into the twilight zone?

I want one of those.........

I mean the eye!

BTW, is that your new Graphic baby? Looking great!

:D

since i got 50 emails to my email box this morning :lol: ... im going to make a statement

no one here did anything wrong ... just want to clear that up :D

this was not a hasty decision (believe it or not) ... i have things going on around me that have influenced that decision .... i have goals that i need to acheive for myself ... those goals have been set in motion that is far beyond what most of you here aspire for yourself in the world of photography ... and that's great ... but getting a pat on the back for my photographs is not good enough for me ...

as u may know, i've been working on several projects in the past month ... i've done my most impressive work during this time (not in my online portfolio yet) .... i did this through research and the hubby of course ... but the fact is, i have not learned it from here :? ... i can use that time that i spent here to continue to move forward and be one of the best at what im doing .. not merely good at it :?

i know some of you are new to photography or hobbyist ... i want to be a pro someday and successful in my own right ... and i will be within a yr through blood, sweat and tears ... just like graisdavis mentioned earlier .. "you're only as good as the people u practice with." ... u guys are not bad people ... i just dont see the hunger to move forward .... i have learned very little to nothing here in the past few months ... my new work reflect my own (and the hubby's) blood, sweat and tears (and at least 2 people from here that i will always keep in touch with)

i will eventually start a place (forum) for myself and like-minded individuals that we can feed off each other... but it will not be open to the public .. it will be private

sorry to be blunt about what im saying but to be honest, im glad that i got this off my chest and now i can breathe ...if u look closely in some of my previous post, i've mentioned "I NEED TO BREATHE" ... this is what i meant :D

this will be my last stop at the photoforum, i wont be checking my pm's or even see the reply to this post ... the people that need to reach me, they have my info :wink: .... everyone else ... good-luck

I understand Dew however I think compleatly leaving is wrong. Dew could be one of the ones that gives us the good advice and to encoruage the people here to be better. I'm not saying that Dew thinks he/she is to good for us but in a way if everyone did that how does anyone expect us to learn. Thats just my 2 cents.

karissa said:
I understand Dew however I think compleatly leaving is wrong. Dew could be one of the ones that gives us the good advice and to encoruage the people here to be better. I'm not saying that Dew thinks he/she is to good for us but in a way if everyone did that how does anyone expect us to learn. Thats just my 2 cents.

folks come, and folks go

we've seen other announcements of no return, fortunately sometimes they do

other folks have vanished without a trace, without a word, where have they gone?

vonnagy said:
:lol: I say we all gang up on that new guy markc... he instigated all this mayhem! :lol:
Eek! :shock:

just kidding, markc! I think its great you've started a such and lively and thought provoking topic - bet ya had no idea what a can of worms you opened! Seriously, you've brought up some great points there.
It's all part of my plan for world domination!
er...
I mean "oops?"

Seriously, I harbor no ill feelings towards anyone. I was hoping to start up a debate, or at least an interesting conversation, but my intent was not to upset anyone. I'm no stranger to the oddities of on-line communication, having been involved since the days of dial-up BBS's and currently very active on another forum (9000+ posts since Jul'02[/braggard]). I've learned that there isn't much point in feeling responsible for other people's actions, so I'm not chagrined or anything.

We all have places we want to be in life, and it's up to ourselves to see us there. If Dew thinks her time is better spent investing it elsewhere, then more power to her (and I don't mean that in the snippy way that it's often used). Much of what we get involved with has a purpose, but it's often transitory. What was good for us then, isn't always good for us now. While there are certainly sucky aspects to her leaving, she should also be commended for being willing to re-evaluate her situation and making any changes needed to get her closer to her goal.

I don't agree with some of what she said in principal, and I haven't been here long enough to have an opinion on some of the specifics, but she's the one living her life, not any of us. I really do wish her success as she defines it. It's not my brand of success, but it's not my opinion that matters in her life, hers does.

Communities are always changing and shifting. Yup, people come, people go. It's often a loss when someone who has contributed a lot decides it's time to move on, but that doesn't have to reflect poorly on the community. We all are looking for different things and have different reasons for being where we choose to be. I think it's unreasonable to think that one person's reasoning applies to everyone else. As long as you still get something out of what you are doing, that's the important thing. For myself, I've found that to be more a function of who I am, rather than where I am at the moment, but where I am can make it harder or easier.

A teacher once told me that one door opens another one closes and when one person leaves a community or organization there is always some one coming up in the ranks to take their place. I joined just in time to see Dew leave and I by no means want to say that I will take her place. I can't. It sounds like Dew has left her mark here on this forum and that it is a loss to all of us to see her leave however, there are other people that are talented on this forum and her shoes will be filled. Her legacy however, can not be replaced. Thank you markc for a very thought provoking post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back