Custom Bracket for Wedding photography ? Thoughts?

stpierre87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, Been doing general photography for many years now as a extreme hobby of mine. I have two weddings (first weddings) coming up this summer. Both are friends of mine who enjoy my photography. I feel I am fully capable of shooting both weddings. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the Custom Brackets that rotate. I can see it coming in extremely handy at the wedding receptions and possibly the weddings themself. I was looking into the ones where the camera rotates, not the flash. Does anyone think that they are worth the money?

Thanks.

I think you need to elaborate. Because I know my camera rotates either with my body or on a tripod and my flash head rotates independently of that.

I used to use an old Stroboframe bracket where the camera would rotate on what they called their "Rotary Link" mechanism. It was a BIG, and TALL bracket...one that actually did what it was supposed to do, which was to make you look "pro", put the flash up HIGH, and keep red-eye at bay, and also to tire the heck out of your hands and arms and shoulders. I dunno...some of the new rotating bracket designs look like clever marketing of almost useless devices that do very little for shadow control or placement.

I tell you what...if you are going to use a bracket, it had better offer more than like 4 inches of added height to the flash...I mean...why bother??? Not sure what kind of brackets you are asking us to give thoughts on, but that's my thoughts. If you want a bracket, make sure it puts the flash 10 to 12 inches or more above the lens!

Runnah, I'm aware I can rotate the camera as well as the flash but I would like to be able to rotate the camera from portrait to landscrap without having to move the flash head everytime to bounce off the ceiling. Derrel, I didn't like any of the Stroboframe design plus I found out that it was a really tight fit with the camera and a battery grip on the earlier models. The new Stroboframe doesn't have the space issue but its a monster in size and I don't like the "Rotarty link" system. I was looking into the "Custom Brackets". This is a the model I could afford. The top of the line model with all the bells and whistle is way out of my price range.
$bracket.jpg

I've used a bracket for shooting weddings on many occasions. I've usually tend to leave it at home recently though.

There are clear benefits, keeping the flash up high and always above the lens. But it makes for a big bulky rig to carry around all day. Another issue, which doesn't get mentioned much, is how you will carry it around/store it. Are you going to disassemble it every time you need to put it into your camera bag? Are you going to use another camera etc.
I end up taking a separate camera bag that is laid out just to hold the camera/bracket/flash, without having to take anything apart. Weddings are often a hectic event and I don't want to be fussing over taking things apart, nor do I want to just haul it around unprotected etc.

I think a big factor should be the locations and style of lighting you will be using. If you won't have a good option for bouncing, and will then have to shoot direct flash, then a bracket may be worth the extra effort. But if you can bounce the flash easily, then why carry such a big rig?

Big Mike, thanks for your suggestions. I know for sure that one of the church's I will be at has high ceilings but is rather dark and was thinking about using a bounce card mounted to the flash for both the wedding and the reception. I would think with the being said I would want the bracket so that the flash would be bounceing from the same location whether I'm in portrait or landscape. I just want to make sure if I spend the money it is worth it because I do hope to be able to do a couple weddings a year. Nothing crazy but would like to be equipt for the occasion.

If the church has high ceilings...you may not want to bounce (may not be able to). And don't make the mistake of thinking that pulling out the bounce card will somehow be better than shooting directly (if the wall/ceiling is too far away).

When I'm stuck with a location like that, I'll sometimes use something that will actually soften the light from the flash. Lite Genius Super-Scoop II Flash Modifier SUPER-SCOOP II B&H
But I'm probably more likely to go for natural/ambient light....or sometimes I use a remote strobe to punch up the room lighting.

Don't forget that if you're going with a bracket, you'll need to get an off-shoe cord...which adds another $30-$50. And if you are going to rely on using the bracket, you'll want at least two of those cords (they have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune moments).

Most reactions

Back